Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Question How to get Cell ID for S60 2nd ed. FP2 mobile phones?

Hi,
    I want to get the CellID(if possible LAC,MCC and MNC) from my nokia 6630 mobile which is having S60 2 ed. FP2 development platfrm. I tried with S60 3rd ed FP2 SDK with J2ME, but the actual result did not come for this device.

Can anyone plz tell me which C++ APIs and library should I use to the location info of this type of phone? The phone is a GSM phone having no GPRS or GPS connection.In J2ME i got the CELL ID from mobile System.getProperty() method..now I want to get this by using c++ api. Does those C++ API support for future editions of mobiles? I mean, if i develop that application which shows the Cell ID when run on the phone, that application should also run successfully for higher edition series phones..

plz tell me which development tools/SDks shall i use for this type of app (for Nokia phones only) and where can I get those?

plz provide me with some code snippets and links...

I searched this forum n found lot of info abt CELL ID bt confused which library/API to use for this application devmnt. My app will run on the phone and show the CeLL ID on the phone screen. This thing I achieved in J2ME using J2ME MIDlet APIs. the same I want with C++ for Nokia phones...
    Any doubts plz ask me...

thanks for all the helping minds..

sanjay

Super Contributor

Re: How to get Cell ID for S60 2nd ed. FP2 mobile phones?

In Symbian.C++ you can try using CTelephony for 3rd Edition and and by using MobInfo in Pre-v3.x SDKs

if I remember right nokia removed etel.h or something like that from sdk. it can be found from old communicator sdk.

http://www.newlc.com/article.php3?id_article=688 may help you.

Regular Contributor

Question Re: How to get Cell ID for S60 2nd ed. FP2 mobile phones?

Hi kumar,
    can u plz tell me where can i get the CTelephony library and API help and download the proper SDK for my development. I first want to support for S60 2nd ed. phones and then go on to S30 3rd ed. phone...

any helping links will be nice to learn from...I have nokia 6630 for testing purpose.

sanjay

Super Contributor

if you want to develop for 6630 which is a S60 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 2 you can find the corresponding SDK in http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...16-3.0-mr.html.

Super Contributor

Also find example code here .
    http://mikie.iki.fi/symbian/cellid.html

Regular Contributor

hi kumar, the code was just ok as I found in some pdf. but one thing concerns me how I start writing code using those API and where can I found those API call? does S60 C++ SDK provide that or these are some 3rd party library that i have to download...

I saw that SDK on nokia c++ but where that "RTelServer::TPhoneInfoinfo" API and lib cab be found for 2nd ed.FP2 phones...
    basically how can I start up with these infos..plz guide me in simple way...
    many thanks
    sanjay

Super Contributor

all APIs you require will be in SDK.

Quote Originally Posted by SanjayKhuntia View Post
    Hi,
    I want to get the CellID(if possible LAC,MCC and MNC) from my nokia 6630 mobile which is having S60 2 ed. FP2 development platfrm. I tried with S60 3rd ed FP2 SDK with J2ME, but the actual result did not come for this device.

Can anyone plz tell me which C++ APIs and library should I use to the location info of this type of phone? The phone is a GSM phone having no GPRS or GPS connection.In J2ME i got the CELL ID from mobile System.getProperty() method..now I want to get this by using c++ api. Does those C++ API support for future editions of mobiles? I mean, if i develop that application which shows the Cell ID when run on the phone, that application should also run successfully for higher edition series phones..

plz tell me which development tools/SDks shall i use for this type of app (for Nokia phones only) and where can I get those?

plz provide me with some code snippets and links...

I searched this forum n found lot of info abt CELL ID bt confused which library/API to use for this application devmnt. My app will run on the phone and show the CeLL ID on the phone screen. This thing I achieved in J2ME using J2ME MIDlet APIs. the same I want with C++ for Nokia phones...
    Any doubts plz ask me...

thanks for all the helping minds..

sanjay

Hi,

For Symbian OS 7.2 FP2 use etel.h and RBasicGsmPhone class with Mobiinfo.dll, if i m right, this EtelbGsm.h now is private. If you acces this API the get Location definitely.

and for OS 9.0 use CTelephony, that is on SDK help, search in SDK help of S60 3rd sdk.
    Regards,
    Amit

****"Putting a Smile on other's faces is the essence of true Happiness"****

Regular Contributor

yeah thats fine. i have nokia 6630 with OS v8.* and S60 2nd ed. FP2, so where can i get the APIs and any dlls to retrieve the Cell ID or the S60 c++ SDK from Nokia site provides the required APIs like I mentioned eralier(RTelServer::TPhoneInfoinfo). make a google search on "location based search" and u ll find a PDF and in that they used some APIs to get location info like CELL ID, LAC etc.etc...can u tell me how about using those APIs mentioned in that pdf for this and where those API are found...
    just have a look on that pdf..

sanjay

Thumbs up Re: How to get Cell ID for S60 2nd ed. FP2 mobile phones?

You install FP2 sdk in your PC, go to that derive ahere u install this SDK, seaech etel.h and etelbgsm.h, if you find then read SDK help for how to use that, for getting network info RBasicGsmPhone class have function getnetworkinfo(), that gives Mobile Country code, network area code and etc.

If you do not found the apply for symbian partnering because this etelbgsm.h is published by symbian Ltd.

Search in SDK RBasicGsmPhone also you will get some info if this is public.
    Regards,
    Amit

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    all APIs you require will be in SDK.
    No. They are not. On the first action, you would need etelggsm.h and certain libraries which are not part of the Public SDK.

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Champion

yeah thats fine. i have nokia 6630 with OS v8.* and S60 2nd ed. FP2, so where can i get the APIs and any dlls to retrieve the Cell ID or the S60 c++ SDK from Nokia site provides the required APIs like I mentioned eralier(RTelServer::TPhoneInfoinfo). make a google search on "location based search" and u ll find a PDF and in that they used some APIs to get location info like CELL ID, LAC etc.etc...can u tell me how about using those APIs mentioned in that pdf for this and where those API are found...
    just have a look on that pdf..

sanjay
    You should use MobInfo API instead which is publicly available 3rd party API.

Check this link: https://developer.symbian.com/wiki/d...stem+libraries

Find out the keyword "MobInfo" on Discussion Boards, you would get enough good results to work with.

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

Question Re: How to get Cell ID for S60 2nd ed. FP2 mobile phones?

Quote Originally Posted by aamitgupta View Post
    You install FP2 sdk in your PC, go to that derive ahere u install this SDK, seaech etel.h and etelbgsm.h, if you find then read SDK help for how to use that, for getting network info RBasicGsmPhone class have function getnetworkinfo(), that gives Mobile Country code, network area code and etc.

If you do not found the apply for symbian partnering because this etelbgsm.h is published by symbian Ltd.

Search in SDK RBasicGsmPhone also you will get some info if this is public.
    Hi Amit,
    I just installed the S60 2nd ed FP2 SDK and in its include directory i found only etel.h, bt i did not find the etelbgsm.h file there..where can I find this file? I searched in google bt in vain...also do I have to integarte the SDK with the IDE i use (like MS VS 2005 or Carbide.c++)? can Carbide.c++ IDE be used for 2nd edition phones development or it only supports for S60 3rd ed. phones?

I have the Mobinfo library and dlls which i got as a zip. shall i use them to get the Cell ID along with the etelbgsm.h files...

please give me reply in line with my questions...how can run my app on phone after testing with emulator? which files should i have to create to run a simple app on phone?

in jave you just copy JAR/JAD files to install folder on phone and run that Midlet app on phone and the app will start...what is the similar thing i hav to do if i use C++ using this S60 2nd ed. SDK for Nokia 6630..?

the questions are many but i believe you can give me right infos.

plz bear with me..
    thanks for the quick support....

regards,
    sanjay

Hi Amit,
    I just installed the S60 2nd ed FP2 SDK and in its include directory i found only etel.h, bt i did not find the etelbgsm.h file there..where can I find this file? I searched in google bt in vain...also do I have to integarte the SDK with the IDE i use (like MS VS 2005 or Carbide.c++)? can Carbide.c++ IDE be used for 2nd edition phones development or it only supports for S60 3rd ed. phones?

I have the Mobinfo library and dlls which i got as a zip. shall i use them to get the Cell ID along with the etelbgsm.h files...

please give me reply in line with my questions...how can run my app on phone after testing with emulator? which files should i have to create to run a simple app on phone?

in jave you just copy JAR/JAD files to install folder on phone and run that Midlet app on phone and the app will start...what is the similar thing i hav to do if i use C++ using this S60 2nd ed. SDK for Nokia 6630..?

the questions are many but i believe you can give me right infos.

plz bear with me..
    thanks for the quick support....

regards,
    sanjay

hi,

I never used carbide for 2nd sdk, i used codewarrior ide for that, EtelBgsm.h is not public, so take help from symbian partnering req..., You havr Mobiinfo.dll, this dll will go with your application when u install.

For install application make a sis file, for this search in SDK help, PKG and sis file.

Firstaly u will create a PKG file that have all your exe and resource file in it and also Mobiinfo.dll, and now make sis file from tool makesis, and install in your handset.

Search in wikki, how to make sis file and pkg file.

One thing search in your sdk etel3rdparty.h, this is another API for getting phone status, but this in on 3rd sdk.
    Regards,
    Amit