Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Freeware symbian signing

Hi,

Is it possible to get freeware application symbian signed for free?

I found this article on wiki:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Freeware_signing

Not much help on that one because couple links found there are outdated.
    Didn't find information about freeware signing at symbiansigned.com either.

Is the easiest way distribute unsigned freeware and let users sign freeware by themselves?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Freeware symbian signing

Yep, Signing is not really Nokia's task, instead you should try finding information from symbiansigned or Symbian's homepages.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kayem View Post
    Is the easiest way distribute unsigned freeware and let users sign freeware by themselves?
    Yes, as stupid as that might sound it seems to be the way to go, at least for now.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Yes, the CellMania freeware signing option is no longer available - it never worked anyway, it took months and some developers never got a response at all. They also took no interest in working with waivers and contentious failures from the people I spoke to about their experiences. I had a long discussion with Antony Edwards (VP Developer Marketing at Symbian) about alternative solutions on my blog.

We still haven't got a new solution that works so for now you distribute unsigned applications and end users are all supposed to use open signed online... crazy!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery-ltd View Post
    We still haven't got a new solution that works so for now you distribute unsigned applications and end users are all supposed to use open signed online... crazy!
    Too bad. Maybe I try to modify my application so that it doesn't require other capabilities than basic ones, if that is possible. Then Symbian Signing is not required I guess.

Regular Contributor

Hi kayem,
    Yup - if you can modify it so that you only need the user-grantable capabilities, then you can sign it yourself. See the steps here: Self-Sign Certificate

-M

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kayem View Post
    Too bad. Maybe I try to modify my application so that it doesn't require other capabilities than basic ones, if that is possible. Then Symbian Signing is not required I guess.
    And that is what symbian signed always recommends, "USE AS LOW CAPABILITY AS POSSIBLE"

Thumbs down Re: Freeware symbian signing

So I guess 'Symbian Signed freeware' is a legend. The way to go is Self-Signed with only grantable capabilities.

This is a shame since you need ProtServer and SwEvent both non grantable to implement a proper document handler application. Power User can't even use 'Symbian Signed Online' since you need protected range UID.

Only positive point 'Symbian Signed Online' allowed me to develop and test my document handler application. But now I seriously wonder if it was worth spending the time cause I can't distribute it.

I hope you guys at Symbian and Nokia can fix this sometime either by making those capabilities grantable or offering the legendary 'Symbian Signed freeware'.

Yes, exactly. Open Signed Online is not a real solution! Considering the desire to move the platform open source and encourage innovation I can't believe that more effort hasn't been put into solving this issue.

From the conversations I've had about it, it seems that the people responsible inside Symbian are unwilling to admit that they've made a complete cock-up (if you'll excuse my language - that was as polite as I could be about it).

Effectively there's a big obstacle at the moment that's as good as putting a sign up to say "Freeware and Open Source developers - don't bother with Symbian". It's all very well to say that most applications shouldn't require capabilities that aren't user-grantable but any application might one day! A feature could be added, or one of the many quirks may be discovered during development that means higher capabilities are required than really should be. If there's a chance your development will be de-railed by signing and distribution issues then you aren't going to bother starting.

I really hope someone takes this seriously soon!

Sorcery

Cool Re: Freeware symbian signing

I agree with Sorcery, Symbian/Nokia needs to tackle that issue ASAP.

I think 'Symbian Signed Online' is fantastic in that it allows bed room developers to test their applications but the lack of Freeware signing make it totally pointless.

'Symbian Signed Online' without 'Symbian Signed Freeware' is like prototyping without mass production.

Open up guys!

the Symbian Signed online is definitely optimal solution, but it works in some extend, at least I have around 1000 downloads on unsigned application from my site daily, though it would probably be more if they were fully signed.

All and all, if you make usefull freeware, some people will work through the signing procedures as well..

Well they can't if you are on protected range UID cause you need a recognizer for your document handler. Last I checked recognizers needed protected range UID right?

Never tried with recognizer, though I agree that in theory there could be a check that prevents plug-ins from other ranges to be loaded, still I would try with test range UID and see whether it works or not.

I have around 1000 downloads on unsigned application from my site daily, though it would probably be more if they were fully signed.

All and all, if you make usefull freeware, some people will work through the signing procedures as well..
    I agree with this completely. Most of the freeware you provide though Jukka is designed for developers and power users - the group most likely to struggle through the signing process. Even so, I'm sure some don't bother, as you say.

What about everyone else?

'Symbian Signed Online' without 'Symbian Signed Freeware' is like prototyping without mass production.
    I'd actually go further than this - it isn't even optimal for prototyping, really only development. If you make a free media player or location-based social networking client, the whole point is you want to get a load of beta-testers who are ordinary end-users to report issues and help you improve the usability. People looking for a usable app will immediately look elsewhere if they have to jump through online signing hoops just get the stupid thing installed! It just screams 'developer only version'.

Sorcery