Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

about file cache

I am programming on the symbian platform and need to access a SD card with file system operations, like open file / read file / write file. there is a CPU IC resided in the SD card, so i have to transfer commands with read & write sets. The problem is that there is default caching mechanism in the OS, so whenever i write something into the card, the OS will cache the 'something' written just now. I need to turn off caching so that access the card physically and read the feedback by the CPU IC. is there anybody who encountered similar problems?
    cache means:
    when i write text 'x' into file A, OS will take as default that the content of A is 'x'; next time when i read file A, OS will feedback the 'x' directly instead of accessing the disk - this is what i refer to as 'caching'.

What i want to achieve is to bypass this caching mechanism, namely, when i read the file A, OS will access the disk instead of reading the default 'x' from system cache.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: about file cache

From Java: Not a chance. You only have JSR-75/FileConnection API access, and it shields you from the native operating system Java is hosted on, as well as the native drivers and the actual hardware.

Actually, I suspect you can't even do it on a Symbian phone with native Symbian apps (i.e., even if you step out of the Java sandbox environment).

Regular Contributor

Re: about file cache

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    From Java: Not a chance. You only have JSR-75/FileConnection API access, and it shields you from the native operating system Java is hosted on, as well as the native drivers and the actual hardware.

Actually, I suspect you can't even do it on a Symbian phone with native Symbian apps (i.e., even if you step out of the Java sandbox environment).
    thanks, i also think it maybe impossbile.