Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Question which IDE to use?

hi,
    i m going to write code for S60 2nd FP2 phones using symbian c++ API and i hav the SDK. In the SDK release doc they mentioned to use MS Visula Studio 2003 or some other IDE. Can I use Carbide.c++ IDE for my development and is there the need to integrate the SDK with the installed IDE to use the c++ API. I am working for Nokia 6630 phone...

plz give some lights.
    sanjay

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: which IDE to use?

Quote Originally Posted by SanjayKhuntia View Post
    hi,
    i m going to write code for S60 2nd FP2 phones using symbian c++ API and i hav the SDK. In the SDK release doc they mentioned to use MS Visula Studio 2003 or some other IDE. Can I use Carbide.c++ IDE for my development and is there the need to integrate the SDK with the installed IDE to use the c++ API. I am working for Nokia 6630 phone...

plz give some lights.
    sanjay
    You can use Carbide.c++ 1.2 available in the archives. Of course if you dont plan to use the templates, I think you can also use 1.3. With a little hack explained by our very own Lucian you probably can do more ;)

Nokia Developer Champion

code warrior is also there, but i suggest use Carbide 1.3 and use the hack mentioned above for templates. However, if you do not require templates, then you can use Carbide even for 1st edition :)
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia Developer Champion

hi,

plz give some lights.
    sanjay
    To the answer of your question, you can use Carbide.c++, Codewarrior or MS Visual studio 2003 with Carbide.vs plugin. Moreover you can simply use Notepad as an IDE but i wouldn't suggest you to do it when you have enriched IDEs available.

Download and install Carbide.c++ v1.2.2 from here: Carbide.c++ v1.2.2

Once you install an IDE, you don't need to make any hectic changes to work with available APIs in SDK. It will guide you in selecting proper SDK and furthermore you can change SDK to be used from within your IDE.

I hope this helps.
    Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

Question Re: which IDE to use?

Hi all,
    back to basics of my application dev for Nokia 6630 phone which is having S60 2 edition FP2 SDK Symbian v8.0a.

Actually I am going to use the Mobinfo lib to get the CELL ID for this 2edition phones, also got the required dll and libs. But the problem lies with the installation of s60 2 ed FP2 sdk with the Carbide.c++v1.3/MS VS 2005 IDE. In the SDK release doc, they mentiond to use MS VS 6/MS .net 2003 or some other IDE. but i have MS VS 2005. the SDK prerequisite is perl 5.6.1 build 531, bt i hav 5.8.8..

I hav all other prerequisites as per the SDK, but afetr installing SDK, when I opens any IDE it does not show any support for the installed SDK, i mean the SDK is not integrated with the IDE which breaks the links for developing any Application for the required device with the availble SDK...plz guide me how to integrate between the SDK and my IDE...do i have to reinstall the SDK?

i saw in some forum that carbide.c++1.3 has problem with lower SDK (2nd edition FPs), so i downloaded its lower version 1.2.2 to use with the higher version bt in vain...in all way the IDE does not find the installed SDK..

plz give me reply inline for setting up the environment for the above particular type of SDK.
    regards,
    sanjay

Nokia Developer Champion

well perl definitely needs to be downgraded to 5.6.1 :( this is a sad thing, but needs to be done.

otherwise, i have the same sdk and carbide 1.2 and carbide 1.3 and it works just fine....
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia Developer Champion

also i hope u have the JRE installed... even the latest version should be fine ...
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Hi all,
    back to basics of my application dev for Nokia 6630 phone which is having S60 2 edition FP2 SDK Symbian v8.0a.

Actually I am going to use the Mobinfo lib to get the CELL ID for this 2edition phones, also got the required dll and libs. But the problem lies with the installation of s60 2 ed FP2 sdk with the Carbide.c++v1.3/MS VS 2005 IDE. In the SDK release doc, they mentiond to use MS VS 6/MS .net 2003 or some other IDE. but i have MS VS 2005. the SDK prerequisite is perl 5.6.1 build 531, bt i hav 5.8.8..

I hav all other prerequisites as per the SDK, but afetr installing SDK, when I opens any IDE it does not show any support for the installed SDK, i mean the SDK is not integrated with the IDE which breaks the links for developing any Application for the required device with the availble SDK...plz guide me how to integrate between the SDK and my IDE...do i have to reinstall the SDK?

i saw in some forum that carbide.c++1.3 has problem with lower SDK (2nd edition FPs), so i downloaded its lower version 1.2.2 to use with the higher version bt in vain...in all way the IDE does not find the installed SDK..

plz give me reply inline for setting up the environment for the above particular type of SDK.
    regards,
    sanjay
    Well I dont know about Visual studio much as I have not used it extensively, but as I understand it, you can use Visual studio with Carbide.vs plugin.
    As far as perl is concerned, you need to use 5.6.1. Thats pretty much un-alterable issue to avoid problems in future(even if you dont face any immediate problems)
    As far as Carbide.c++ 1.2 with 2nd edition, it works well. I think you might be messing somewhere with carbide.c++ and carbide.vs. So you could check on that. Individually carbide.c++ 1.2 with 2nd ed is very fine combination. In case of using VS use the carbide.vs plugin.

Good Luck!

Regular Contributor

Question Re: which IDE to use?

Hi Neil,
    I successfully created a sample helloworld program with the help of Carbide.c++ v1.2 IDE and s60 2 edition FP2 sdk. but tell me one thing whcih files shall I copy to the phone(Nokia 6630) to run my simple app there? I hav the PC suite for this Nokia phone, bt first of all I should build the necessary files to be run on phone...please tell me...what is the .mmp files in my project directory?

Can I run the app which I develop using some Symbian 3rd party APIs to get Cell ID on the emulator or i hav to test it on the phone directly...?

Does this carbide IDE provides the compiler for my any c++ program which the Microsoft's Vc++ provides?

plz give some pointers..

thanks a lot...
    sanjay

Super Contributor

Hi Neil,
    I successfully created a sample helloworld program with the help of Carbide.c++ v1.2 IDE and s60 2 edition FP2 sdk. but tell me one thing whcih files shall I copy to the phone(Nokia 6630) to run my simple app there? I hav the PC suite for this Nokia phone, bt first of all I should build the necessary files to be run on phone...please tell me...what is the .mmp files in my project directory?

Can I run the app which I develop using some Symbian 3rd party APIs to get Cell ID on the emulator or i hav to test it on the phone directly...?

Does this carbide IDE provides the compiler for my any c++ program which the Microsoft's Vc++ provides?

plz give some pointers..

thanks a lot...
    sanjay
    1. you have to install sis file to install to device.
    2. you have to use device to get the cell ID and you have to use CTelephony. Try searching wiki for example. but i suggest you read basic symbian stuff 1st.
    3. Carbide.C++ provides cw compiler for symbian emulator.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    2. you have to use device to get the cell ID and you have to use CTelephony. Try searching wiki for example. but i suggest you read basic symbian stuff 1st.
    Originator is asking for S60 2 edition FP2 sdk and CTelephony doesn't work for that.

Kiran.

Nokia Developer Champion

First of all, you should try with "HelloWorld" type of GUI application. Build it for WINSCW UDEB (for emulator) and play with it unless you get familiar with flow of "HelloWorld" application. Then build the same application for GCCE UREL (for phone). I bet, it would be useful for you.

No. IMEI, IMSI, Network paramters(e.g Cell ID) etc... features should be well tested on real device as Emulator doesn't support such feature.

Use Carbide.c++ for Symbian c++, Open C/C++ programming.

Kiran.

I successfully created a sample helloworld program with the help of Carbide.c++ v1.2 IDE and s60 2 edition FP2 sdk. but tell me one thing whcih files shall I copy to the phone(Nokia 6630) to run my simple app there?
    You should build your application for the mobile phone (the emulator executables are x86 Windows-binaries, while the device needs ARM code), so modify Active Build configuration in the Project menu to Phone release (ARMI) or Phone release (Thumb) (I can not check the exact name), re-build the project, then right-click on the .pkg file in your project (sis folder), and see what happens. The ideal happening is that you get a .sis file, which is installable via the PC Suite (a double-click on the file should also initiate installation).
    I hav the PC suite for this Nokia phone, bt first of all I should build the necessary files to be run on phone...please tell me...what is the .mmp files in my project directory?
    The .mmp file describes how to build your application. Its syntax is well documented in the SDK Help. You can also check the Wiki, simply search for mmp.
    In fact you should really check the SDK Help
    - Developer Library » Symbian OS Guide » Essential idioms
    - Developer Library » Tools and Utilities
    Carbide.c++ is not really suitable for non-Symbian development, if that is what you are asking.

Regular Contributor

Many thanks man, u solved my probs...actually I hav built the app with Active Build Confiuguration as Emulator Debug(WINSCW) and getting lot of erros while building...choosing build configuration as u told the build went successfully. i got the .pdg and .sis files in the said directory..

right clicking on .pkg files some options are coming n i dnt know what to choose...shall i now transfer the .sis file to my phone and run there...in this way i think i will be unable to test on emulator any application...am i right?

only i can check whether the build was success n test on the phone itself...then why they hav provided the emulator? no need...
    plz rectify me inline n give me ur valuable suggestion...

regards,
    sanjay

shall i now transfer the .sis file to my phone and run there
    Yes

in this way i think i will be unable to test on emulator any application...am i right?
    Wrong. Emulator is very useful to test the application first before you can deploy it on the device.

only i can check whether the build was success n test on the phone itself...then why they hav provided the emulator? no need...
    Its very convinient to make quick tests with the emulator. So there is perfectly a good reason to have it.