Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

[moved] Edition 2 Emulator not running

Hi,

I needed to use my Edition 2 emulator to sort out some issues with icon bit-maps. I had not used it for some time, and it does not now run. The Simulator screen appears as normal, the very bold "Series 60" title appears on the sim. screen for about two minutes, then disappears, leaving a blank sim. screen. Nothing else occurs.

I assumed it was my app that was causing a problem, so I swapped over to an example app. from a different project that used to run OK, and that failed in the same way.

The Edition 3 emulator still works fine.

I can't remember how to enable the epocwind.out logging in 2nd Edition, could someone remind me? "LogToDebugger=1" in the INI file just gives an error message at Emulator start-up. The ErrRd file exists in c\system\bootdata.

I have spent about 2 hours on the forum, and with Google, but can't find the answer.

Richard

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Edition 2 Emulator not running

Not Carbide.c++ related (unless you come up with an explanation that links the two). If this is the forum where you have searched for answers no wonder you have not found them.

I'm moving this to the proper forum...

Now, there are several releases of the S60 2nd Edition SDK so it might be worth knowing which exactly is the failing SDK. Also, LogToFile will enable logging in %temp%\epocwind.out so it is this file that you should inspect for some hints.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Re: [moved] Edition 2 Emulator not running

Hi Lucian,

Thank you for your reply, my deepest apologies for putting this problem in the wrong forum. I had not realised exactly where the boundaries of the SDK and Carbide were.

I have tried both "LogToFile 1" and "LogToDebugger 1" in the Epoc.ini file, in an effort to get some logging. Unfortunately, both values bring up the same fatal error message in initialisation of the Emulator, which is "C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v21_CW\Epoc32\Data\Epoc.ini Keyword ['LogToFile' or 'LogToDebugger'] is not recognised". I thought that indicated that the Ed.2 epoc.ini file has a different format, but perhaps I am wrong again.

The "c:\Documents and Settings\Richard\local settings\temp\Epocwind.out" file exists on my system, but it was full of logging from the Edition 3 emulator, so I have deleted that content for clarity, and no further logging occurs from the Edition 2.1 CW SDK.

I used Google for some of my searching yesterday, as it does not discriminate between sections of this forum, or between this forum and the NewLC forum. So I was not really looking in the wrong place. There are plenty of answers for the epoc.ini file for Edition 3, but very few for Edition 2, and they are not useful.

I looked for any reference to the original problem, and found "Blank Screen Emulator", but that thread came to an unresolved end a year ago.

Other threads mention removing the audio drivers from the system (why???), so my system now has no audio. My SDKs and Carbide are on the C: drive, in all the default locations. The system is 3.4Ghz with 2Gb of RAM and 42Gb of spare disc space.

The only change I have made recently was to add the UIQ 2 and 3 SDKs to my system. I have not used them yet, so I have deleted them from the system and removed them from the SDK Preference list.I then re-installed the Ed 2.1 SDK. All to no avail, still no go on the 2.1 emulator.

Richard
    Last edited by 76Richard76; 2008-08-07 at 15:50. Reason: added thoughts about SDKs

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi Richard,

the solution may differ from case to case and first we need to understand where the issue is before applying solutions such as removing the audio drivers (there are cases when the emulator is affected by them, but not always).

Currently I have no access to an SDK so I cannot verify what should be the setting in epoc.ini in order to enable the logging. Hopefully you're going to have more to the point help from the other poster here.

Good luck.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I could not resolve the problem, so I started with a second, fresh, PC, and rebuilt my development environment from scratch. Everything worked fine for S60 Edition 2 and 3, and I could solve my bitmap problem.

I was very, very reluctant to mess about with this new IDE by adding the UIQ SDKs, so I started once more with a third PC. I got to the same point as PC 2, then added the UIQ 2 and 3 SDKs.

The S60 Edition 3 emulator now hangs. It has the blue bar across the top of the emulator screen, and the overlaid E:NORMAL title, but the rest of the screen is blank. I tried re-installing the S60 Edition 3 SDK, but the problem still exists. I have the trace file from the emulator, but I am not allowed to post attachments, so cannot include it here...

I need to generate a product that works on S60 and UIQ, using (as far as possible) common source. How can I do that?

Is this problem a bug or is a just one of those 'features' we have come to know since we started Symbian development?

Richard