Discussion Board

Unable to install .sis on the emulator/device

Hello,
    I am using S60 3rd Edition SDK for Symbian OS and Carbide v1.3
    I have compiled a sample application for the emulator and it works with no errors. But if I compile the same application for GCCE it gives me a set of warnings and when i try to install this .sis file on to my emulator it gives me "File Corrupted" dialog.
    This is the build log.

***Building project "MyGUIApp" for configuration "Phone Debug (GCCE) [S60_3rd]"

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\ target gcce udeb
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\GCCE.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    In file included from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/eikenv.h:25,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknutils.h:36,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknpopuplayout.h:26,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknquerydialog.h:31,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknmessagequerydialog.h:25,
    from ..\\src\\Myguiappappui.cpp:12:
    ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/babitflags.h:240:7: warning: no newline at end of file
    In file included from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/eikmenub.h:18,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknenv.h:28,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknutils.h:40,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknpopuplayout.h:26,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknquerydialog.h:31,
    ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/eikmenup.h: In member function `TBool CEikMenuPaneItem::IsScaleableText(const TDesC&) const':
    ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/eikmenup.h:183: warning: enumeral mismatch in conditional expression: `TFalse' vs `TTrue'
    In file included from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknappui.h:29,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknpopupheadingpane.h:32,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknlistquerycontrol.h:23,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknquerydialog.h:36,
    ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/AknTouchPaneObserver.h:47:19: warning: no newline at end of file
    ..\\src\\Myguiappappui.cpp:190:2: warning: #warning "Please see comment about help and UID3..."
    In file included from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/eikenv.h:25,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/eiksrvs.h:14,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/eiksrvc.h:9,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/eikspmod.h:18,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/Eikspane.h:10,
    from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknappui.h:25,
    from ..//inc/MyGUIAppAppUi.h:14,
    from ..\\src\\Myguiappdocument.cpp:11:
    ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/babitflags.h:240:7: warning: no newline at end of file
    In file included from ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/aknappui.h:29,
    from ..//inc/MyGUIAppAppUi.h:14,
    from ..\\src\\Myguiappdocument.cpp:11:
    ..//..//..//..//9.1//S60_3rd//EPOC32//include/AknTouchPaneObserver.h:47:19: warning: no newline at end of file
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group -f "ICONS_SCALABLE_DC.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\..\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\ICONS_SCALABLE_DC\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UDEB BLD
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\HELP -f "BUILD_HELP.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\..\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\BUILD_HELP\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UDEB BLD
    make -j 4 -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\MYGUIAPP\GCCE\MYGUIAPP.GCCE" UDEB
    Myguiapp.cpp
    Myguiappapplication.cpp
    Myguiappappview.cpp
    Myguiappappui.cpp
    Myguiappdocument.cpp
    1 file(s) copied.

Total Time: 41 sec

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\ final gcce udeb
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\GCCE.make" FINAL CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group -f "ICONS_SCALABLE_DC.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\..\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\ICONS_SCALABLE_DC\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UDEB FINAL
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\HELP -f "BUILD_HELP.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\..\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\BUILD_HELP\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UDEB FINAL

Total Time: 44 sec

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\ test export
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\EXPORTtest.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do

Total Time: 44 sec

***Build Complete

***Invoking makesis.exe ....
    C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\tools\makesis.exe C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\build\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\_resolvedMyGUIApp_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.pkg C:\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\sis\MyGUIApp_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.sis
    Processing C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\build\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\_resolvedMyGUIApp_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.pkg...
    Created C:\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\sis\MyGUIApp_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.sis

...No key/cert defined. Generating dummy key/cert for self-signing (key-gen.key/cert-gen.cer)...
    No passphrase defined. Using: "DefaultPassword"

***Invoking makekeys....
    C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\tools\makekeys.exe -cert -password DefaultPassword -len 2048 -dname "CN=JoeBloggs OR=Acme" key-gen.key cert-gen.cer
    Using existing private key key-gen.key
    Created certificate cert-gen.cer

***Invoking signsis.exe....
    C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\tools\signsis.exe -s C:\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\sis\MyGUIApp_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.sis C:\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\sis\MyGUIApp_S60_3_X_v_1_0_0.sisx C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\build\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\cert-gen.cer C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\epoc32\build\Symbian\Carbide\myworkspace\MyGUIApp\group\key-gen.key DefaultPassword

***SIS Creation Complete

I dont know if these warnings play any role in the sis not working. Also the process till signsis has got no errors.
    Can any one tell me why isn't the .sis getting installed on the emulator or on a mobile device.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Unable to install .sis on the emulator/device

Welcome to the Forum!!

For phone, use gcce urel rather than udeb(if you dont plan to debug on device) and install the signed sis file on the device.

On emulator, build it for winscw udeb, and if everything goes as well, you might find your application in the applications folder (provided you have everything in place like the registration file, and other resources)

Another note : Try using the S60 3rd MR rather than the S60 3rd.

Hi,
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    But can i use the same .sis to install the app on emulator instead of the device?

Are there any known issues if we use 3rd edition..??

Quote Originally Posted by shrads View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    But can i use the same .sis to install the app on emulator instead of the device?
    Well if you build it for winscw udeb and create a sis file its possible. You might need this info also in addition

I did try with urel instead of udeb but still I am getting File Corrupted Dialog while installing the application.
    Do I need to change any thing in the .pkg file..??

Are there any known issues if we use 3rd edition..??
    The MR was made public after a few bugs/known issues were fixed in the first release. Well, all developers use the Maintainance release to avoid possible glitches.

Nokia Developer Champion

I did try with urel instead of udeb but still I am getting File Corrupted Dialog while installing the application.
    Do I need to change any thing in the .pkg file..??
    I guess you are not installing your sis file on S60 3rd edition phone, are you?

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

shrads: check that your sis is signed and that you are copying your files to the right places. For example, the common mistake is to copy all files (not only binaries) to sys\bin
    Regards,
    Mr.Y

@kiran: I am trying to install the .sis on the emulator itself which is giving me "File Corrupted" error.

@Mr Y: I am copying the .sisx file to ..\S60_3rd\Epoc32\winscw\c\Data\Installs

and my .pkg file entries are:

; standard SIS file header
    #{"MyGUIApp"},(0xE145EA6E),1,0,0

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Vendor-EN"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"Vendor"

;Supports Series 60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"S60ProductID"}

;Files to install
    ;You should change the source paths to match that of your environment
    ;<source> <destination>
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\MyGUIApp_0xE145EA6E.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\MyGUIApp_0xE145EA6E.exe"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\MyGUIApp_0xE145EA6E.rsc" -"!:\resource\apps\MyGUIApp_0xE145EA6E.rsc"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\MyGUIApp_0xE145EA6E_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\MyGUIApp_0xE145EA6E_reg.rsc"
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\MyGUIApp_0xE145EA6E.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\MyGUIApp_0xE145EA6E.mif"
    "..\help\MyGUIApp_0xE145EA6E.hlp" -"!:\resource\help\MyGUIApp_0xE145EA6E.hlp"

; Add any installation notes if applicable
    ;"MyGUIApp.txt" -"!:\private\E145EA6E\MyGUIApp.txt"

;required for application to be covered by backup/restore facility
    "..\sis\backup_registration.xml" -"!:\private\E145EA6E\backup_registration.xml"

@kiran: I am trying to install the .sis on the emulator itself which is giving me "File Corrupted" error.
    Well if you had made the efforts to read my message above more carefully, you would have already solved the issue. The one I am referring to is :

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Well if you build it for winscw udeb and create a sis file its possible. You might need this info also in addition

Thanks Neil,
    Did exactly as u said and now it works

Thanks Neil,
    Did exactly as u said and now it works
    Glad it saved some time

Good Luck!

Nokia Developer Champion

Generally Sis files should be installed on real device rather than on Emulator. If you are creating new application in Carbide.c++ then build it for WINSCW UDEB (Emulator build) and you would find your application in Emulator. You can play from there. You do not have to install your application to test it.

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team