Discussion Board

j2me app signing, etc

Folks,

I am hoping someone can point me in the correct direction as I am having a great deal of trouble signing my app so i can test is on my phone properly.
    Having exhausted google and all of the forums and articles I could find in the past week I have decide to post a request instead.
    Please find below the steps I tried (well current set anyway), can anyone point out what I might be doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

Corey

P.S. I know this feels like a report of the many threads already in this forum but I assure you I have tried the "answers" contained in them and still been left wanting

1) Create a keystore
    keytool -genkey -alias surame -keypass <password> -keyalg RSA -keysize 1024 -dname "CN=surame.net,O=surame.net,C=MY,E=corey.scott@surame.net" -keystore surame_keystore -storepass <password>

2) Create a certificate request
    keytool -certreq -v -alias surame -file csr-for-surame.pem -keystore surame_keystore

3) Submitted to my CA (Ive tried a few of the trial certs, using verisign as an example here)

4) Received response and saved as surame.net-signed-cert.pem

5) Imported CA's root certs into my keystore
    keytool -import -v -trustcacerts -alias verisign-demo-root -file verisign-demo-cert-root.pem -keystore surame_keystore

6) Imported the CA's intermediate cert(s)
    keytool -import -v -trustcacerts -alias verisign-demo-intermedia -file verisign-demo-cert-intermediate.pem -keystore surame_keystore

7) Imported my cert from the CA
    keytool -import -v -alias surame -file surame.net-signed-cert.pem -keystore surame_keystore

8) Build my JAR and jad (using J2ME polish but not using its signing capabilities)

9) Signed the jar
    jarsigner -keystore surame_keystore.jks -storepass <password> dist\Nokia\N73\Surame-Mobile-en.jar surame

10) Added cert and sign to JAD
    java -jar C:\WTK2.5.2\bin\JadTool.jar -addcert -keystore surame_keystore.jks -alias surame -storepass <password> -inputjad dist\Nokia\N73\Surame-Mobile-en.jad -outputjad dist\Nokia\N73\Surame-Mobile-en.jad
    java -jar C:\WTK2.5.2\bin\JadTool.jar -addjarsig -keystore surame_keystore.jks -alias surame -jarfile dist\Nokia\N73\Surame-Mobile-en.jar -storepass <password> -keypass <password> -inputjad dist\Nokia\N73\Surame-Mobile-en.jad -outputjad dist\Nokia\N73\Surame-Mobile-en.jad

11) Updated the JAD's "MIDlet-Jar-Size: " line to the new JAR size

12) Installed the CA certs and my cert on my N73 using OTA

13) Installed my jar/jad on my N73
    -Fails with "Certificate Error - Contact the application supplier"
    (Notes: I have tried modifying the cert perms to all the different combinations, sensible and not.)

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: j2me app signing, etc

The problem here is step 12.
    You cannot instal your own certificate for MIDlet signing on N73. You need to use the Verisign or Thawte MIDlet signing certificates which are already on the phone.

Hartti

Can you please let me know how to get a valid certificate to install on N73? I tried to get the trial certificate from Verisign, but I am not sure, what should be the server type. Can you let me know if we could do anything else to test our app tha twe develop on our mobile?

hartti,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

jayaprabhakar,

If I am reading hartti's reply correct, the only way to sign code is to buy a "code signing" cert from a CA that is already on the phone. Unfortunately the Verisign sample cert is not on the phone and is also not valid for code signing.

Cheers,
    Corey

Nokia Developer Champion

corsc, you read me right.

Hartti

LOOK I HAVE DEVELOPED APPLICATION WTK2.5.2_01 BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO SIGN CERTIFICATE TO MY MIDLET . APPLICATION SHOWS STATIC CONTENTS ON MOBILE BUT SENSITIVE CONTENTS ARE NOT FETCH FROM THE SERVER .IS THIS A PROBLEM OF CERTIFICATE?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by manojrana87 View Post
    LOOK I HAVE DEVELOPED APPLICATION WTK2.5.2_01 BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO SIGN CERTIFICATE TO MY MIDLET . APPLICATION SHOWS STATIC CONTENTS ON MOBILE BUT SENSITIVE CONTENTS ARE NOT FETCH FROM THE SERVER .IS THIS A PROBLEM OF CERTIFICATE?
    You mean you want to use HTTPS to communicate with the server? Use HttpsConnection. Of course, your Web server needs to be configured with a certificate, otherwise that's not going to work.

- Mike
    NAVTEQ Network for Developers
    The community for developing innovative location-based applications
    http://NN4D.com