Discussion Board

Option shoud be used to advance CPU speed when using RVCT (need advice)

Hi,
    I'm porting an application (a 3D game) from Symbian OS 9.1 platform to Symbian OS 9.3 platform (running on N95 to N96 and Nokia 6120 Navigator for example). And I meet a problem that, the frame-rate on v9.3 is so slow.
    The original version 9.1 used GCCE target. And this target will work on v9.3, but within the frame-rate problem.
    I tried to switch to ARMV5(use RVCT 2.2), it worked, but frame-rate is not advanced.
    I know that, using RVCT is better than GCCE mode. But I don't know exactly which options I should use to enhance the speed of an application when using RVCT.
    Off course, maybe the compiler is not the reason for this problem. But I want to try, before "examining" the source code ;).
    Because I'm just a newbie of Symbian Developer (just few days ago), so I'm really appreciate all advice from all members here.

Thanks and best regards,
    [i][b].

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Option shoud be used to advance CPU speed when using RVCT (need advice)

there could be differences on the HW with the devices you have tested the example on. I'm rather sure that 9.3 should not be generally slower than previous versions. So check the HW specs of the devices and find which devices could do it fast enough.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ishnu_Blue View Post
    Hi,
    I'm porting an application (a 3D game) from Symbian OS 9.1 platform to Symbian OS 9.3 platform (running on N95 to N96 and Nokia 6120 Navigator for example). And I meet a problem that, the frame-rate on v9.3 is so slow.
    The original version 9.1 used GCCE target. And this target will work on v9.3, but within the frame-rate problem.
    I tried to switch to ARMV5(use RVCT 2.2), it worked, but frame-rate is not advanced.
    I know that, using RVCT is better than GCCE mode. But I don't know exactly which options I should use to enhance the speed of an application when using RVCT.
    Off course, maybe the compiler is not the reason for this problem. But I want to try, before "examining" the source code ;).
    Because I'm just a newbie of Symbian Developer (just few days ago), so I'm really appreciate all advice from all members here.

Thanks and best regards,
    [i][b].
    try using this Option in MMP
    #ifdef __ARMCC_2__
    OPTION ARMCC --no_debug_macros -O2 -Otime
    #endif

Hi, thanks for your reply!

@symbianyucca: actually, I must develop this game on N96 and 6210 Navigator.
    @skumar_rao: hmm... I tried that, but seem that there is no advance then.

I think this is problem of HW, as symbianyucca said. My devices are not powerful as N95.
    I must examine my source code...

Thanks anyway,
    [i][b]