Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beginner,need info right from the scratch!

Hello everyone!
    I am new to this developer forum and to developing applications for s60 too! I have been reading documentations,elearning since 1-2 days now but in the end i feel a little confused!

I have nokia N95,s60v3, and i have some innovative ideas about certain applications i want to design.I have some knowledge of C/C++ so i was thinking about downloading Carbide.c++ v1.3 but then i got confused if i need to download S60 Platform SDKs for Symbian OS, for C++ first! Does both of them work togather or are different stuff?

Secondly,what should i do to learn the initial phases of developing an application?where can i find working examples?where can i find the s60v3 emulator etc! I have many questions as i suppose every beginner have! So plz help me out,i may turn out to be a good asset!

Re: Beginner,need info right from the scratch!

Hi,

Download Carbide then install it. After installation you should see Web page which tells you what you need to install before you can start application development with Carbide. You need to install Perl and 3rd Edition SDK. After you have installed SDK, search the folder where you installed it, there you can find working examples which you can import to Carbide and run on emulator or phone. Emulator comes with SDK.

Super Contributor

Lightbulb Re: Beginner,need info right from the scratch!

C++Beginner (MS Access/FoxPro,VisualBasic Developer) Carbide V2.7,S60 3rd MR SDK/Nokia C5.00-5mp,6120c

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by PACALA_BA View Post
    PACALA_BA is there anything we can do if we donot get the SDK listed ?

Hello there,
    1st of all, i tried to doanload carbide.c++,which according to site is 186MB,but when download completed i was just 144MB and the setup didnt run! I then tried to use "nokia download manager" it gave "307 error msg,file moved to other place temprorily",dont know whats wrong.

How carbide.c++ approach of developing application is different from using carbide.vs for visual studio? Which one is more closer to C++ environment or which one is similar to C++ language in syntax point of view?

Everytime i am about to start downloading,i am not too sure in my mind which one will the relatively easier approach!

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ankit_725 View Post
    Hello there,
    1st of all, i tried to doanload carbide.c++,which according to site is 186MB,but when download completed i was just 144MB and the setup didnt run! I then tried to use "nokia download manager" it gave "307 error msg,file moved to other place temprorily",dont know whats wrong.

How carbide.c++ approach of developing application is different from using carbide.vs for visual studio? Which one is more closer to C++ environment or which one is similar to C++ language in syntax point of view?

Everytime i am about to start downloading,i am not too sure in my mind which one will the relatively easier approach!
    Carbide.c++_v1.3 is 185 MB when I download.

May be you download from some other place.

Hello there,
    Were you logged in when you tried the download manager?
    That error happened to me once too. I logged into Forum Nokia, after that I was able to download stuff using download manager.

ya i was logged in and i used this
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...119a2b4cb.html
    link..the link given in nokia itself!i tried it a 2nd time and 175 MB was downloaded

Download problems you are facing point to some network problems at your end. Please try disabling proxy servers that you may be using an if possible try to download it directly without using a any download manager ( nokia / flashget etc).

Regarding Carbide C++ vs Carbide.vs , former is more closer to symbian development as it provides more control over the build /development process of you application. Also some features like On Device Debugging & Ui Designers are only available in Carbide C++.

Hello!
    I have done the installation part. I have installed carbide.c++,pearl and SDK s60v3 FP2.....Now, at present i am having problem in connecting carbide with my SDK...When i try to run an eg. it says,no SDK installed and enabled

I think i installed them in wrong order bcoz there is no SDK listed in the carbide>window>preferences>carbide.c++>SDK preferences

I installed carbide 1st then pearl and SDK in the last.....DO i need to uninstall them all n install them in reverse order?
    Last edited by ankit_725; 2008-08-19 at 14:42.

Ohkk now,i m done wid all!! i have installed carbide,SDK n now i can also run example! But now i have a new problem, after creating the .sisx file when i tried to install it on my N95, it says "CERTIFICATE ERROR" what now!!??? have i downloaded the wrong version?

Where can i learn about programming in Carbide?Till now i used examples to get familiar with the stuff but where can i learn coding stuff??what files are needed for application?what directories and all!???

Ohkk now,i m done wid all!! i have installed carbide,SDK n now i can also run example! But now i have a new problem, after creating the .sisx file when i tried to install it on my N95, it says "CERTIFICATE ERROR" what now!!??? have i downloaded the wrong version?
    You need to sign your application, if you are using just the basic capabilities then self signing will be enough, otherwise you need sign it with developer certificate or at symbiansigned.com.

Useful links:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ning_sis_files
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Capabilities

N95 is 3rd FP1 device, so if you installed 3rd FP2 SDK then install 3rd FP1 or MR SDK.
    Last edited by kayem; 2008-08-20 at 10:38.

i have ROOTSIGN name s/w on my system which usually signs the unsigned application,but here i think problem is my SDK which is FP2.

If i can create a sisx file using carbide nad SDK,then whats he need of installing perl??
    Where will i get proper start on carbide coding?or in simple language,desiging some basic application?
    Last edited by ankit_725; 2008-08-20 at 18:33.

ohkk...i m done with all my initial problems now!I have installed SDK s60v3FP1 also so now i can install the basic HELLO WORLD application on my N95.

Now please tell me where can i read more about coding in carbide?where can i get some more BASIC examples of not only console but a little more? Where to start??