Discussion Board

using multiple players in a single J2ME app

i'm facing the following problem in a J2ME game, on the S40 series:
    i've created an instance of a Player which plays a simple tone sequence after every valid move in a board game. in case an invalid move is made then i simply use AlertType.ERROR.playSound to indicate the warning to the user.
    the problem is that the validPlayer works perfectly fine initially, but the moment an invalid move is made, then it ceases to play after the subsequent valid move.
    the AlertType for invalid move however is unaffected. this problem is appearing only on the S40 series and emulator. there is no such problem on the WTK emulator nor the Samsung or Motorola emulators.
    could someone throw some light on this?

~ayush

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: using multiple players in a single J2ME app

Hi ayush,

you can check if multiple tones can be played simultaneously by checking the "supports.mixing" System property. If it returns "true", then, as reported on this Wiki page:
    * At least two tones can be played with Manager.playTone simultaneously.
    * Manager.playTone can be used at the same time when at least one Player is playing back audio.
    * At least two Players can be used to play back audio simultaneously.
    Hope it helps,
    Pit

Re: using multiple players in a single J2ME app

the problem is not that of playing multiple players simultaneously. at a given time only one player is required to play - following a valid move (validPlayer) and following an invalid move (AlertType.Error) . also, since there is a fair interval of time before successive moves, the Player plays the media track to completion well before the next call to the player.start()
    what is happening here is that validPlayer plays properly each time there is a valid move. however once the AlertType.Error kicks in, the validPlayer is unable to play after that. i caught the MediaException and the getMessage returns the string "Player not Active". after some more testing, i found that the validPlayer returns to the REALIZED state once the AlertType.Error plays. i managed to solve the problem last night by simply testing the state of the player before playing it. and if it is in the REALIZED state, then i explicitly call the validPlayer.prefetch() before starting. this did solve the problem but it also throws another question - as far as i know, the player.start() method on a REALIZED player implicitly calls the prefetch() method. so why should it be necessary to call the prefetch() method explicitly?
    btw, are there any specifications / restrictions of wav files that must be adhered to while using it for J2ME? for example, i've come across a number of wav clips that play alright on the PC, but do not play on the mobile phone. (each of these clips is less than 5kb so i dont think file size is an issue. furthermore i have often been able to play wav files upto 10-12kb in size).

~ayush

Quote Originally Posted by jappit View Post
    Hi ayush,

you can check if multiple tones can be played simultaneously by checking the "supports.mixing" System property. If it returns "true", then, as reported on this Wiki page:

Hope it helps,
    Pit