Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Midlet does not start after phone power cycle

Hi

I have a problem with a Midlet application that I have taken over. After installation the midlet works correctly. Once the phone has been power cycled (switched off and then on) then clicking on the midlet does nothing. Nothing seems to happen at all.

If I run the .jad or .jar file on the phone again and reinstall the app over the existing installation then everything works fine until the next power cycle, i.e. I can start the app and close it multiple times.

The Configuration remains intact through a reinstall so it does not seem that the configuration has suddenly disappeared.

Any ideas where to start looking will be welcome.

I have tested it on a N82, 6110Nav and N95 and the behaviour is the same. (All S60 platforms)

Jeckle
    Last edited by Jeckle; 2008-08-18 at 15:11.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Midlet does not start after phone power cycle

Hello Jeckle,

tell us about this MIDlet: Is it signed? What kind of MIDlet it is?

Does this issue also occur when installing the MIDlet by using some other methods, like Bluetooth or USB cable?

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Hi r2j7

To answer your questions:

The midlet is unsigned. During installation I get the "Application is untrusted... etc"

The same behaviour is apparent no matter what method I use to install the midlet. It was first picked up on a bluetooth installation and I have tried a PC Suite installation as well as copying the jad and jar files across to the phone and installing from there, which is similar to what the other installation methods use.

What puzzles me is "what is staying in volatile ram that is changing after a phone power-cycle?"

Surely if the application has never been run since installation the state of the phone is the same as after power-up. What could be different?

The application uses bluetooth, location services (GPS etc) and open a socket to the server.

The app never gets as far as asking permission to use these services after a power cycle. It is as if the phone will not run the app at all. There is no error message or anything that even hints that anything has actually happened.

The app works perfectly after installation or re-installation. It can be shut down and restarted multiple times with exactly the same behaviour. Once the phone has been power cycled (i.e. merely switched off and then on, no tampering with the battery) then then absolutely nothing happens when the app icon is clicked or even if the Options->Open is selected.

Best regards
    Jeckle

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Jeckle,

if you startup and close your midlet without accessing any of the functionalities you described (bluetooth, location services, socket), and then try switching off and on your phone, does the midlet restart?

Pit

Cool Re: Midlet does not start after phone power cycle

thanks , i thin k you are good

Hi Jeckle,

I know i am messaging u very late for this respetive thread.., but i need help from you.
    Actually i am facing the same problem for my application and not able to get the solution. Can you please help me out.

Thanks in advance
    Chhavi

Super Contributor

Can you tell us something about your problem?

1. What device(s)?

2. In what way does the application fail to start? Is there an exception/error?

3. Does it only fail if you power-cycle the phone? Or does it also fail if you exit and restart the app (without switching off the phone)?

4. Once it stops working, does it ever work again?

5. Does re-installing help? If you re-install, do you delete it first?

6. Does the application use PIM or File APIs?

7. Does the application use RMS?

Cheers,
    Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Can you tell us something about your problem?

1. What device(s)?

2. In what way does the application fail to start? Is there an exception/error?

3. Does it only fail if you power-cycle the phone? Or does it also fail if you exit and restart the app (without switching off the phone)?

4. Once it stops working, does it ever work again?

5. Does re-installing help? If you re-install, do you delete it first?

6. Does the application use PIM or File APIs?

7. Does the application use RMS?

Cheers,
    Graham.
    Hi Graham,

fr ur questions..:

1) Its working very fine on N73, N72.. bt not on N81, N95..

2) There is no exception.., even i have handled all but nothing seems to help..

3) it fails only if i power-cycle my phone.

4) No, it doesn't work until or unless i reinstall application..

5) re-installing helps.., no i overwrite the previous one..

6) yes.. application uses File APIs

7) yes.. application also uses RMS..

Please help me out..

Thanks
    Chhavi
    Last edited by Chhavi; 2009-03-02 at 06:49.

Super Contributor

Hey
    I am not sure about this, but after power cycle is ur time of system is correct or it goes back. if it is going back fix it and then run app. Its just a guess cause system time effect midlet when it is signed, and since ur app is not signed i guess this will not help but check it once any ways.
    au revoir
    Prakash Raman

hi prakash..

thanks bt its not system time issue.., i have checked it..

thanks
    chhavi

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Chhavi View Post
    3) it fails only if i power-cycle my phone.
    Do you power-cycle before running the application, while running it, or after running it?

5) re-installing helps.., no i overwrite the previous one..
    Is previously stored RMS data still available to the application after you do this?

Cheers,
    Graham.

hi grahamhuges,

Do you power-cycle before running the application, while running it, or after running it?
    i power-cycle after running application and it works fine n times i use it, before switching off phone..

Is previously stored RMS data still available to the application after you do this?
    Yes RMS data retains after re-installing..

actually i m not getting the "thing" that used to be retained in RAM and application works but after switching off phone what goes off and make application unusable..??

Thanks
    Chhavi

Super Contributor

actually i m not getting the "thing" that used to be retained in RAM...
    Can you explain a bit more about this "thing"? I can't see a clear explanation for your problem, so any clues might help.

Cheers,
    Graham.

hi grahamhughes,

I have made some changes in the thread stoping, and it works.. now the application is working even after power-cycles..

but i not getting the reason now that why it happened..?? i mean why the way of thread stopping affects the application execution after power cycle??

Thanks
    Chhavi

Super Contributor

It doesn't entirely surprise me. What I suspect is: the application was not shutting down correctly, and keeping RMS open. This could result in RMS corruption when the device is power-cycled. However, what confuses me is that RMS was accessible after installing on top of the broken installation. Possibly, the RMS itself was not damaged, but some kind of information about it (locking information?) was. Perhaps this information gets reset when you re-install.

Are you keeping RMS open for long periods? If so, I strongly recommend against this. You may find that the problem re-appears if you power-cycle while running the app.

My recommended practice for RMS access is:

PHP Code:
    RecordStore rs RecordStore.openRecordStore(RECORD_STORE_NAMEtrue);
    try {

// add / delete / update
    finally {

rs.closeRecordStore();

This keeps the record store open for the shortest possible time, and ensures that it is closed after use (even if an exception or error is thrown).

Some devices will always halt threads when the application exits. Some do not. It is always a good idea to make sure that all threads get stopped during the exit process. A thread can only be stopped by causing it's run() method to exit.

(Setting the variable that references the Thread object to null does not stop the thread. The garbage collector does not stop threads, close files, close RMS or close network connections.)

Cheers,
    Graham.