Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Nokia 6131 NFC firmware 5.12

Hi,

I've been struggling with the latest firmware (version 5.12) of the 6131 NFC phone. Here is the situation:
    I developed last year a J2ME application allowing to demonstrate the NFC capabilities of the phone. At that time firmware version was 5.11. Today, I bought 2 new 6131 NFC phones now released with firmware 5.12. My application still runs but doesn't interact with the NFC connectivity of the phone: Tag reading, P2P communication, interaction with our NXP NFC reader...

I deployed and successfully tested on firmware 5.12 the samples provided with the 6131 NFC SDK. These samples also work on firmware 5.11. This meeans that no major changes have been done on the NFC API between the 2 firmware versions.

Is someome aware of any precautions that need to be taken for the development of J2ME applications now with firmware 5.12?

Thanks,

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Nokia 6131 NFC firmware 5.12

There really shouldn't be. Can you please check that your Secure Element visibility is on, and that your NFC is also on?

I finally managed to solve the issue. The phones I bought are not "development" phones. This means that to allow my J2ME application to access the secure element I need to convert them to development phones.

Just out of curiosity, how do you convert a Nokia 6131 into development phone? I have bought one for my project but I dont know whether it is for development or normal phone. IS it necessary to convert Nokia 6131 into development phone to work with it?

Actually there is no difference between a normal and a dev-phone.

In order to access the SE, you are required to sign your J2ME applications with a code signing certificate. There are some special firmware version for mobile network operators with additional certificates (eg. vodafone-edition).

cheeers, geri-m

Just to clarify, even signed a MIDlet can't access the Secure Element of the phone. You have to convert it to a development phone:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Service_MIDlet

See section 9