Discussion Board

Arrow How to optain a JME certificate for S40 devices?

Hey there,

We´re facing a new problem while developing an application. Our product is for S60 and Sony Ericsson devices, but it could work on S40 devices too. Well we just have the problem that we heavly use the file system =/ We already have a verisign for our S60 plattforms and it runs smooth with no problems.
    However the same certificate for S40 series? Somehow the .jad files don´t work on them.

Are there any free avaible developer certificates for testing and working?

Thx in advice

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to optain a JME certificate for S40 devices?

Hi Bauzi,

no developer certificates are available for testing (Motorola did something in this sense, but I've not checked recently).

About S40 devices: Verisign is usually shipped on these devices. If you're working with 5th edition FP1 devices, you should check this KnownIssue:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Pack_1_devices

If this does not solve, some questions: does the unsigned app work on these S40 devices?
    Also, have you manually checked if Verisign certificate does exist on these phones?
    Also, try posting the content of your JAD file, since it could help to find out possible issues.

Hope this helps,
    Pit

This sounds good, but doesn´t solve anything. I tried it with our Nokia 6500 wich is 5th generation FP1. The .jad files almost disapeared, that means that the phone only shows me the .jar files in the directory.

If this does not solve, some questions: does the unsigned app work on these S40 devices?
    Our signed app has already problems on S60 series, but these are problems that we can fix for sure. However we can´t say now if our app will work on S40 too. There are so many unsure factors. A test certificate would be the best for us, but yeah... you say that there isn´t one and that´s really bad for us.

Ok here is the content of the .jad file:

MIDlet-1: [product name], [product name]
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-1: [Long Code]
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-2: [Long Code]
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-3: [Long Code]
    MIDlet-Data-Size: 2000
    MIDlet-Jar-RSA-SHA1: [Long Code]
    MIDlet-Name: [product name]
    MIDlet-Permissions: javax.microedition.io.Connector.file.read, javax.microedition.io.Connector.file.write, javax.microedition.media.control.VideoControl.getSnapshot, javax.microedition.io.Connector.bluetooth.client, javax.microedition.io.Connector.bluetooth.server
    MIDlet-Vendor: Vendor
    MIDlet-Version: 1.0
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0

Super Contributor

You might want to explain also in more detail what exactly doesn't work.

In other words, explain step-by-step what you are attempting to do, and then also what happens (including any and all error messages or other observations). Tell us also what you expected to happen, but didn't (presumable how things work on other phones, and what you expect to happen on S40, too).

Mind-reading is difficult as it is, and even more so through a web forum. Or, at least, I'm not very good at it.

The certifcate doesn´t work for the application on S40 devices. The Verisign certifacte already works on S60 and Sony Ericsson. We need a certificate for S40. Prefarably also a test vertificate for developing.

Now. Our certificate doesn´t work. I can´t set up the application rights on the cell phone of the rights we need, like accessing the file system or media (like the camera).
    It´s not handy that the app needs to ask the user 10 times if it is allowed to access the filesystem. We NEED for example this right for our app. That´s why we need a certificate for S40. I have no idea if our Versign cer could work or if we need a complete new one.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello Bauzi,

I'm not sure if your issue is related to this one, but here's a Forum Nokia Wiki Known Issue article on certain Verisign cert problems with Series 40 5th Edition, Feature Pack 1 devices:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Pack_1_devices

The article includes a cert fix for affected devices under 'Solution', the fix needs to be downloaded by using the device's browser.

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Bauzi,

as reported above, there is a specific issue on S40 5th edition FP1 devices, and there's an available solution you could try to test.

Also, It's not clear from previous posts if you have tried to install the unsigned MIDlet on your 6500 (and if it worked), and if you manually checked for Verisign certificate existence on that phone (by going into "Menu" -> "Settings" -> "Security" -> "Authority Certificates")

Pit

Quote Originally Posted by r2j7 View Post
    The article includes a cert fix for affected devices under 'Solution', the fix needs to be downloaded by using the device's browser.
    I already installed the certificate-something on my Nokia 6500 wich is 5th edition FP1. It made the .jad files invisible at the standard program browser where the user opens the prog. That´s not bad though. Today I tried the test signed program from the link. It worked on the 6500. I was able to give the app the needed rights, like read/write from the filesystem wich is exactly one permission that our programm needs.

My problem:
    Also, It's not clear from previous posts if you have tried to install the unsigned MIDlet on your 6500 (and if it worked), and if you manually checked for Verisign certificate existence on that phone (by going into "Menu" -> "Settings" -> "Security" -> "Authority Certificates")
    Of course I already tried the enable the permission per hand. That means that I went to "Options" and set up the permission for rad/write the filesystem for example. I simple didn´t got the option to select "Allow always" it is greyed out. Installing works, but I can´t enable the needed permissions for example reading and writing user data. I CAN enable the permissions for my Sony Ericsson and S60 Nokia devices.

Now why has this test program (-> r2j7´s, jappit´s posted link) the possiblities wich our program doesn´t have?
    I do have a valid Versign certificate for it and I do have installed this VeriSign certificate something on my 6500 (also from the posted link). I asked my team mates and they are the opinion that the app would work if we would fix this certificate problem for the S40 devices.
    I´m not sure wich Versign we have, but I already contacted our programmer who was responsible to get a valid one so I hopefully can tell you some details later if they are needed.

(by going into "Menu" -> "Settings" -> "Security" -> "Authority Certificates")
    Alright. I checked it. I have from Verisign (in my list):
    VeriSign Class 3 Code Signing... (text is cut off. Even in "details")
    VeriSign Class 3 Code Signing...
    VeriSign Class 3 Public Prima...
    VeriSign Class 4 Public Prima...

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello Bauzi,

specifically, how this certificate doesn't work? Do you receive an error (If yes which error)? Or is this greyed out the only symptom?

EDIT: After detailed eyeing on your postings, the greyed out permissions are clearly the problem. Sorry for the confusion.

So do you mean that this certificate in the link http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/images/9...ediate2004.cer did give the permissions you were looking for? (Or do you refer to some other program?)

Regards,
    r2j7
    Last edited by r2j7; 2008-08-25 at 13:36.
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by r2j7 View Post
    Or is this greyed out the only symptom?
    Yes. That´s why I can´t enable some permissions and why some things always need user permissions during runtime (wich is not acceptable for this product). That´s why I say: "The certificate doesn´t work". I mean our certificate with wich we signed our software and wich works on Nokia S60 series and Sony Ericsson without problems.

EDIT: After detailed eyeing on your postings, the greyed out permissions are clearly the problem. Sorry for the confusion.
    No problem.

So do you mean that this certificate in the link http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/images/9...ediate2004.cer did give the permissions you were looking for? (Or do you refer to some other program?)
    No I don´t refer to someone else program. As far as I remeber or know this .cer file is like a patch for S40 5th edition FP1 devices. It should enable the use of (some?) VeriSign certificate. Before the "patch" I saw .jad files in the program browser of my cellphon. Now I don´t wich isn´t bad.
    The user always gets .jar and .jad files, but he hast to open the .jar file to start it. So if the .jar file automaticly finds the .jad and would see "oh this is signed" software everything could be fine.
    Now I don´t know if there is a problem with our certificate or somewhere else. We can´t just buy VeriSign certificates just for trying out wich one would work. That´s not "effective" :P

Ok it was really strange to see the software certificate working on my 6500. Somehow a valid version always slipped through my hands and I always got a wrong signed software wich seamed to be fine for other divices.

So far it went fine. It just asks if it is allowed to open a bt connection to another device. That´s ok though, but is there any way to disable this question on S40´cause it works on S60 without asking!

Some S40 editions work and some don´t. It´s really iffy, but I´ll ask something if there pops up a new clear question.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello Bauzi,

so does this mean that now it works as follows:

1. You sign app using VeriSign cert
    2. You install app to 6500
    3. You go to

'Menu' -> 'Apps' -> 'Games' or 'Collection' -> You highlight the signed app -> You press 'Options' -> You select 'Application access' -> You browse some permission setting
    => Here you are able to set the 'Always allowed', and no more greyed out permissions?

Regards,
    r2j7

Exactly.

You forgot step 1.5 wich might be optional: Install Verisign routecertificate from posted link.
    One of my 5th edition devices already have this route certificate.

The only thing that bugs me is following message when a blue tooth connection gets set up by my software: "Do you want to connect to X?"
    Wich is some kind of strange, because I also enable the rights for connections without asking.

My teammates say that this is a system message and that I can´t do something against it. It´s not too tragic, but I would like to connect without this question to the user. Is there maybe a way to avoid it on S40 series?

Hi,

bauzi, could you explain how you managed to make this work?
    I'm also having trouble signing my application on S40.
    I have what I think to be valid verisign and thawte certificates, with which I can sign applications for sony ericsson devices.
    But on Nokia XPress Music 5610 and 6500 slide, this does not work.
    I can install my app just fine without signing (but of course I can not set the permission I want).
    But if I sign my application using either certificate (I've tried the solution from the link given in this thread, but it changed nothing) I get these messages and installation fails:
    -> Xpress music 5610 :
    * verisign : "not a valid certificate"
    * thawte : "application not supported"
    -> 6500 slide :
    * both case : "invalid application".

I checked my dates, it was correct. (anyway, when they weren't, the message was different)

Does someone has faced (and hopefully solved ) this problem?

Thanks!