Discussion Board

Thread: unicode support

unicode support

hello everyone
    i am working on Quran application. i am using Quran unicode to display on Canvas. on sun java wireless toolkit it displays fine but i am facing problem on nokia sdk and mobile device both.
    is there any solution for this. or any patch that will install on mobile and displays text correctly....
    thxxxxxxxxx

Super Contributor

Re: unicode support

And what, exactly, happens "nokia sdk and movile device both"?

If what happens is that you see empty boxes/squares instead of the characters you expected, then it simply means that the phone on the PC (with the SDK) and/or on the phone you do not have font files installed or as default fonts to display those characters. For that, there's no patch, but you should install the appropriate font, or get a phone firmware language version which comes with an appropriate font.

If that's not your problem, then please explain what "facing problem" means.

hello

with some string it shows boxes. but not with all. there could be font installation problem because when i reduce the font size to small it doesn't effects. but i don't know how to install fonts and
    from where to get?

And my main problem is that i need to display Arabic text on Canvas it display it but doesn't display airab (zair and zabar) if you still didn't understand tomorrow i will send you pictures that what is problem?

until please help me regarded fonts.....

thanks in advance

Super Contributor

Well, for one... most of the built-in preinstalled fonts are fixed size, so you cannot change the size freely.

Secondly, if you want to use Arabic from Java, then the default system font must support Arabic.

You might also want to tell which SDK (exact name and version) you are using, and which phone models you've tried it on, and whether they have Arabic language support built-in or not.

HELLO

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ thats the original text example that i want to display.but it don't show me correctly.you can see there is something on the words. but it shows me only words.
    i check it on different nokia sdks.like s60 series,s40 etc. but same problem exists only sun java wireless kit shows me correct output. please help me if you can.
    thxxxxxxxxxxxxx waiting 4 your reply

Super Contributor

If I remember correctly, I do not think Nokia SDKs support Arabic (Chinese and Thai are supported at least on certain S60 SDKs though).... You need to use Sun WTK

On the real devices you can have problems as well, if the phone language pack does not support arabic glyphs (like petrib mentioned)

Hrtto