Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any idea on CCameraAdvancedSettings availability?

So now that 3rd edition FP2 phones (such as the N78) are out on the market, does anyone have any idea when Nokia will make a version of the SDK with CCameraAdvancedSettings available?

At present, apps that are able to use the camera and the autofocus capabilities on FP1-and-earlier phones are shut out until the SDK gets updated to include this, since the prior API doesn't work on FP2.

Hello, Nokia? Anybody out there?

Super Contributor

Re: Any idea on CCameraAdvancedSettings availability?

what does that mean, do you meant to say http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._2_en.zip.html example will not work on FP2 ?

Super Contributor

If it is such a problem, pay for a support or partnering request as that is the official way to get non approved API's
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Nokia Developer Moderator

CCameraAdvancedSettings is Symbian owned API, and not S60 C++ API, and since Forum Nokia API patnering program can only help with S60 C++ APIs, the only way to get access to it is through Symbian partnering.

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    what does that mean, do you meant to say http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._2_en.zip.html example will not work on FP2 ?
    Specifically, the autofocus functionality does not - the rest of it does. From the page you reference:
    AutoFocus functionality does not work in AF-enabled devices based on S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 or newer (they use a different library for AutoFocus)

Angry Re: Any idea on CCameraAdvancedSettings availability?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Todd View Post
    If it is such a problem, pay for a support or partnering request as that is the official way to get non approved API's
    I'd be happy to, once I figured out exactly what I'd have to join (or who I'd have to pay) in order to get the access I need. As noted below, there seems to be a disagreement as to whether a Nokia support request would be a waste of money or not...

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    CCameraAdvancedSettings is Symbian owned API, and not S60 C++ API, and since Forum Nokia API patnering program can only help with S60 C++ APIs, the only way to get access to it is through Symbian partnering.
    You will pardon me for observing that TONS of the S60 C++ API originated as Symbian API's, but is included in the S60 SDK. The entire CCamera (as implemented ecam.h), for example, was/is a Symbian API, yet Nokia published it as part of its SDK when it started distributing phones that used it instead of their original camera API. I would have thought that Nokia would similarly have updated the FP2 SDK once they started distributing handsets that needed CCameraAdvancedSettings.

OK, off to the Symbian folks and see if they'll help out at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kdhallman View Post
    You will pardon me for observing that TONS of the S60 C++ API originated as Symbian API's, but is included in the S60 SDK. The entire CCamera (as implemented ecam.h), for example, was/is a Symbian API, yet Nokia published it as part of its SDK when it started distributing phones that used it instead of their original camera API. I would have thought that Nokia would similarly have updated the FP2 SDK once they started distributing handsets that needed CCameraAdvancedSettings.
    Jaa'a, S60 SDK do include all (or at least nearly all) Symbian owned APIs, which are marked as publish to all, and that do not have binary or other compatibility issues, as well as are implemented by the S60 devices.

There are plenty of API that Symbian has not marked as Publish for all, and these APIs are not included in the SDK, and these APIs are the ones that are non S60 C++ API, as well as they are considered as Symbian owned non-public APIs, which indeed you can only get access through Symbian partnering.

S60 can be tought as UI system in top of Symbian OS, just like UIQ. Of course it does more than just UI stuff. As you could also observe that there are plenty of S60 specific public APIs in the SDK, but some APIs are not considered as public APIs, thus they are not included in the SDK. And these non-public S60 C++ APIs you could try getting access through FN partnering.

Quote Originally Posted by kdhallman View Post
    I'd be happy to, once I figured out exactly what I'd have to join (or who I'd have to pay) in order to get the access I need. As noted below, there seems to be a disagreement as to whether a Nokia support request would be a waste of money or not...
    The technical support is actually really cheap, and it is definitely making loss for each case. Basically in it you get dedicated expert that tries to solve the problem, and if needed gets more internal experts involved on solving the problem.

API partnering cases are even cheaper, and definitely do not cover even the hourly salary of the person who is handling it.

Anyway, if you have been told by FN expert that it is not available at FN API partnering, it would be waste of money and time to still try it..

The API is marked as publishedAll, so it is Symbian's intention that this be published in the SDK. Its absence may be a deliberate omission - for example if the API is not supported on the device, or if Nokia do not want to maintain binary compatibility. The right way to proceed this is for Nokia to make it clear what level of support is provided in the platform.
    You can also access the file as a Symbian Partner.

For interested parties, discussion continuing here: http://developer.symbian.com/forum/t...ID=79052#79052

So, Ladies and Gentlemen at Nokia (anyone listening?), we're back to where we started. The Symbian folks (Hamish is with Symbian) say that this is supposed to be published, not private, and your own Wiki (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._functionality) says that we're supposed to be using it from FP2 on.

So how do we get it added to the SDK?

Thumbs up Re: Any idea on CCameraAdvancedSettings availability?

Sorry for the mess, it was caused by a misunderstanding of Symbian's API classification scheme.

For S60 3rd Edition FP2 the problem is about to be fixed by releasing the API through the SDK API Plug-in. The package has been sent to the web team and will be published shortly. Make sure you add the wiki page on your watch list so you get notifications as soon as it will be updated to reflect the new plug-in release.

We're also taking the required actions to ensure that the API will be included in the next SDK releases.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hi Itomuta

I've downloaded the SDK plug-in for Feature Pack 2.

I've added some relevant API to Epoc32 of Symbian 9.3 FP 2 SDK.

The class that is important to me is CCameraAdvancedSettings.

In my application I've added ecamadvancedsettings.lib to .mmp and include header file <ecamadvancedsetting.>.

I've tested the class within a standard hello application and connect the code to Message button:

CCameraCaptureEngine* observer = CCameraCaptureEngine::NewL();
    CCamera* camera = CCamera::NewL(*observer, 0);
    CleanupStack::PushL(camera);
    TCameraInfo info;
    camera->CameraInfo(info);
    CCamera::CCameraAdvancedSettings * iCameraAdvancedSettings = CCamera::CCameraAdvancedSettings::NewL(*camera);
    camera->Release();
    delete camera;
    delete iCameraAdvancedSettings;
    delete observer;

My mmp file has UserEnvironment capability and ProductID is that of FeaturePack2

I've tested the application on N78 (after updating the last firmware).

When I press on Message button it tells me : Stop! Feature not supported

I've added some logs within the code and it seems that it is the NewL of CCameraAdvancedSettings that causes this error to appear!

Do have any idea how to resolve this problem?

Thanks

Assayag.

Regular Contributor

Hi Itumota
    I forgot to write that CCameraCaptureEngine is my own class that inherits from MCameraObserver

Thanks

The example application showing how this API should be used is currently being finalized and will be published in the Wiki soon.

To get you past the current problem please note that you need to implement the MCameraObserver2 interface and construct the camera using the CCamera:New2L() constructor.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hi Itumota

Thanks for reply.

If I understand right, the CCameraAdvancedSettings constructor needs a reference to a CCamera object.
    In the help, there are two possiblilities to create an object CCamera: or using NewL that get as argument a MCameraObserver reference or New2L as you wrote.
    Is the second way should be prefered or it is the only way to make CCameraAdvancedSettings work?

Regards
    Meir