Discussion Board

Symbian Signed for ISV

Hi,

We are currently developing a solution for one of our clients. Their requirements go beyond the symbian signed criteria. As we need MultimediaDD capability we would need Certified Signed or Open Signed Offline.

I see such ways:

1) Get Certified Signed - not really feasible as we would need difficult to accept waivers for plenty of tests. Can we get Certified signed for a limited number of devices (corporate owned)?

2) Use Open Signed Offline for every client device - is it legally acceptable? What is the IMEI number limit?

3) Unlock the client phone - Is it somehow possible?

4) Deliver unlocked phones - Where can we buy such?

Symbian Signed is great for end-users but whet it comes to corporate solutions it got much more difficult.

Thanks for your opinions
    Andrzej

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian Signed for ISV

Have you seen "The Complete Guide to Symbian Signed" on www.symbiansigned.com ?
    1 - I do not think so
    2 - Read the documentation first
    3-4 - Google for Symbian cracks/hacks, there are "solutions", but these topics do not fit well to this site.

2)
    Yes I have seen.
    Regarding the Open Signed Offline

"Open Signed makes it easy for developers to sign applications for limited deployment to known devices for testing and development."
    but there is
    "Certificates allowing them to sign applications for deployment on up to 1000 devices"

Our intention is to deliver to known devices but for commercial use not for one of above. I haven't seen a open signed offline agreement, is there any?

3,4 - I don't mean cracking but acquiring phones without the capability restrictions from the manufacturer.

Super Contributor

You can't acquire a special batch of phones that have a different policy for MultimediaDD than the others.

If your app needs MultimediaDD, you have to get it signed with MultimediaDD, or redsign it so that MultimediaDD is not needed, or resort to approaches that would be questionable for a legal, commercial business.

There are plenty of requirements that are completely legal and are important for commercial users.

In commercial environmetn, user is not the owner and his power needs to be limited. I.E. we need not let user disable autostarting application but the symbian signed requires us to. and there are more such requirements (leaving data on the phone, stop application)

Andrzej

Regular Contributor

We were in much the same boat as you. We need half a dozen waivers for each release we do. From an admin point of view it was a bit like running in treacle, but if you have a good reason Nokia seem to allow these things.
    So, get a good contact in Nokia (may be hard)
    Coordinate the test house and Nokia (may be harder)
    Good luck.