Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Sending information from file to a server?

Hi All,
    This is regarding a small application I m making.I want to build an application for my nokia 6630 phone which when runs by the user should show a text box with some buttons in a form and the user should type some text in the text box and presses a button.
    I have got the Cell ID stored in a file in phone's drive. Now i want to send the text which the user gives in the form along with the cell id stored in the file to a server to receive those information.

currently I m using s60 2 edition FP2 SDK in Carbide.c++ for my phone. plz guide me, which classes of the SDK shall i use to build the UI forms n text boxes etc.? plz give some sample examples to such UI for my phone...And one more thing how can the sending of information from my phone to the server (listening on some external IP) can be done? I want to send the whole text data to the server and the server should accept the data for further processing..Is there any application protocol to use ? I heard, there are ways like WAP,SOAP, plain XML file or plain text sending like methods to send the info to the server...plz tell me which of the above methods will be suiotable for this particular application...?

I m using c++ as my prog lang and my whole concern is to send the information retrieving from the text box and file to the server...

plz give some light on this inline with my queries if possible...Any useful links/code snippets will of great help..

thanks a lot for the most useful replies.
    Regards,
    sanjay

Re: Sending information from file to a server?

Hello,
    for sending text to the server you could use post or get method.
    You can find example of http post/get here:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...I_Example.html
    For creating text editors try to search on http://wiki.forum.nokia.com for code examples.

Good luck

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. actually I m working on s60 2 edition fp2 device(nokia 6630) and the examples u supplied works on s60 3 edition devices..plz give some other links suitable to my device for the sending of data to the server...
    regards,
    sanjay

Nokia Developer Moderator

In fact it still depends on the server you have. In the SDK you use you can already find IP examples, like Series60Ex\sockets (this will surely run) and Examples\Networking (those examples come from Symbian, so they do not necessarily suitable for executing directly on an S60 device). And there is a HTTP example too: Examples\appprots\exampleclient - this is also a generic Symbian example, so you may have to extract its content and put it into some S60 GUI code.

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    Regarding my previous question, I want mention smthng more. The server can be http server listenting on some external IP. So my app should get some search text from user and adding the cell id info with it, sends the info to the server. The server will search some database to find the search text depending on the Cell id. Now my que is how the mobile device will send the text info to the server.? I read the HTTP Client APIs for that purpose and they tell these r specific to synbian OS ans cant be directly used with s60 UI..so can I use the code snippets mentioned in HTTP client API for symbian OS to transfer data to the server? Or should I use the SOAP for transfering the data? will it be convenient?

my device is s60 2 edition fp2 device...plz give me some info regarding this..

thanks a lot.
    sanjay

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    In fact it still depends on the server you have. In the SDK you use you can already find IP examples, like Series60Ex\sockets (this will surely run) and Examples\Networking (those examples come from Symbian, so they do not necessarily suitable for executing directly on an S60 device). And there is a HTTP example too: Examples\appprots\exampleclient - this is also a generic Symbian example, so you may have to extract its content and put it into some S60 GUI code.
    Hi,
    As you suggested, I ran the sockets example on the device and it gave some error message..Does the device should be connected to internet to test the sockets example application? Otherwise how could i know the app is running ok witht he IP i hav supplied in the UI...

So I can extract the HTTP code example and use that for the sending of info from my phone to the server?

plz put some light on this..
    thanks
    sanjay

Nokia Developer Moderator

What error message do you get?
    Anyway, it is sure that you should have some working IAP on the device. Can you browse the Internet for example?