Discussion Board

Capabilities of MWS

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what capabilites the MWS install file is signed with by Nokia?

I have tried looking for it but can't find it anywhere.

Best regards,
    Magnus

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Capabilities of MWS

Quote Originally Posted by maggias View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me what capabilites the MWS install file is signed with by Nokia?
    There are numerous binaries in the sis-package, and the capabilities they have vary. If you mean the capabilities of Apache, then they are: LocalServices, NetworkServices, ReadUserData, WriteUserData, UserEnvironment and Location.

But download the excellent SISXplorer tool and you can dissect the sis-file as much as you like

Johan

Hi,

Thank you and also for the SISXplorer suggestion, I downloaded that and it works very well.

I have one other technical question that would be very good if someone could answer.

When the Mobile Web Server is connected through a WLAN connection and addressed within that network through its IP address, does the connection then go through the "Connector" (mentioned in the MWS book) in the mobile web server packet or does it go directly to the httpd server?

Is the HTTP server listening on port 80 or is it the connector that is listening on port 80? And do connections always go through the connector or bypass it when not requested through the gateway?

Hope I am being clear enough

best regards,
    Magnus

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by maggias View Post
    When the Mobile Web Server is connected through a WLAN connection and addressed within that network through its IP address, does the connection then go through the "Connector" (mentioned in the MWS book) in the mobile web server packet or does it go directly to the httpd server?
    It goes directly.

Is the HTTP server listening on port 80 or is it the connector that is listening on port 80? And do connections always go through the connector or bypass it when not requested through the gateway?
    The HTTP server is always listening on port 80. If you are connected to a WLAN and browse directly to your phone, the requests will obviously arrive directly at port 80. If you browse to your phone using the .mymobilesite.net domain name, the requests will still arrive at port 80, but they will take a detour via the gateway/connector infrastructure. To the web-server, the connector basically appears as just another client.

In other words, it works just fine to simultanously access the web-server over a cellular connection using the .mymobilesite.net domain name and directly over WLAN.

Johan

Okey, thank you, that is what I thought

This is a little ambiguous in the Mobile Web Server book

In reality, in the multimedia computer, between the actual communications link and the ported Apache, there is a so-called connector that takes care of all connectivity issues. The actual S60 port of Apache only handles issues related to content services.
    , page 132

And then the all the addressing modes are listed.

best regards,
    Magnus