Discussion Board

Class Documentation

I'm fairly new to programming Symbian OS, and so I'm not sure where to find reasonable documentation on various classes.

For example, I stumbled across TChargeCard in the help and it's vague description sounded like something I needed to write an application I'd been thinking of involving long distance dialing services.

The document for the class included a list of its member functions and a very short description, but nothing about how or where the class was used.

No problem I thought, I'll just look up TChargeCard on Google and I'll find all sorts of references to it. However, aside from a bunch of stuff in Chinese, there were only 3 references. Two were just the docs I'd already seen, and the third was a message in one of these forums asking what had replaced it since it had been depreciated.

How on earth does one go about finding out about obscure classes if NO ONE discusses them or otherwise references them anywhere on the internet?

Any assistance anyone might be able to offer would be greatly appeciated.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Class Documentation

TChargeCard in particular has a rather complete documentation, at least in the SDK Help supplied with S60 3rd MR SDK - but I cannot see why would it be different in case of other S60 SDK-s.
    Generally it is true that not all classes have accessible documentation, but you should always check the SDK Help first. Then Internet, like FN Wiki, Google, etc., and if nothing helps, you may still manage to figure out something from the header file.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've been through every single file provided with the S60 3rd Edition SDK (feature pack 2, v1.1) and the only references to TChargeCard are the skimpy docs I'd already found. I'm still at a loss as to why it is so hard to find the quality of documentation that you have obviously found. I'll keep looking.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I do not know, this is the 3rd hit in Google: http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...CardClass.html, but you can also find http://developer.uiq.com/devlib/uiq_...CardClass.html which is Symbian 9.1. Also note that it might be deprecated and removed from the SDK you use.
    And a slightly unrelated thing: make sure that the SDK you use is actually compatible with your target device (if you already have some). S60 3rd FP2 is the most recent public SDK, it is not sure that you should really use that. You can find specs on www.forum.nokia.com/devices

The two links you mentioned in the previous message point to the documentation I have already seen. In terms of discussing the members of the class, this document fulfills that. However, the TChargeCard class doesn't appear to do anything in isolation, which means that it is intended to be used in conjunction with other classes, none of which I can find in the documentation.

Another problem is that no explanation is given for what seems to be a major point for the class existing, which is the RULES. The only thing this document mentions is the existence of the functions to set and read rules and yet it says nothing about the FORMAT of these rules.

I will nonetheless download a copy of the FP1 version of the SDK and see if I have any better luck with that.

P.S. I don't know when that "Device Specifications" page was last updated by Nokia, but in terms of the phone I'm specifically interested, it appears to be in error. I have an N95 8GB, but according to the specs, that model is NOT intended for the North American market and only supports HSDPA as 2100 MHz. The N95 8GB sold here in North America has HSDPA on 850 MHz and 1900 MHz and DOES NOT include support for 2100 MHz. I could not find this model in their listings anywhere. Note that this is NOT an N95-3 NA. It's the black model with 8GB of flash built in and NO CARD SLOT.
    Last edited by punter1445; 2008-08-26 at 14:59.