Discussion Board

[moved] S40 and S60 behave differently in java bluetooth applications

I've developed a bluetooth java game that works substantially as a client-server application.
    When I use a S60 as server I can connect to it from two clients or more, while with S40 as server I can connect to it from one client. In the real wireless world the second connection doesn't go, while in PC emulation it works perfectly.
    What is this due to?
    Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: S40 and S60 behave differently in java bluetooth applications

S40 limitations, possibly? Which S40 device (what version of S40) have you tried this on?

Re: S40 and S60 behave differently in java bluetooth applications

Hi, thanks for your answer.
    I've tried with Nokia 6500 classic (S40 5th Ed. FP1) and with Nokia 6288 (S40 3rd Ed.) and in both cases the behaviour is the same.
    Regards.

Re: [moved] S40 and S60 behave differently in java bluetooth applications

So petrib talk about S40 limitations. Is there any limitation on S40 about JSR-082 that has been removed on S60? Is there any hierarchy on bluetooth discovery? (I mean older devices coul have problem on discover newer or something like that).
    I'm sure othr people have already test multiplayer bluetooth game in a mix mobile environment S40-S60, please I need help...

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi emasse,

S40 devices do not support multiple connections at the same time, as do S60s.

Check the "bluetooth.connected.devices.max" property.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, thanks for you reply.
    The value is 7 as in S60.
    Are you sure that S40 devices do not support multiple connections at the same time, is there any Nokia official document that certify this? I'm asking this because actually in S40 it bahaves as if it accept only one connection despite the value of bluetooth.connected.devices.max.
    Regards.
    Last edited by emasse; 2008-09-01 at 10:12.

Nokia Developer Expert

My last experience with developing commercial Bluetooth apps for S40 showed that multiple connections were not supported (that was 6111 - S40 3rd. Edition).

It was not a server application, it connected to the PC and fetched data from it. For a server application, at least for older models I'm positive multiple connections are not supported.

For the most recent ones, if you are getting "7" as the value it may be worth trying with say, a Java app serving a Bluetooth connection and PC Suite connecting to it (via BT) at the same time, and another phone trying to send a picture to it.

Also, as your app is a server, you could also check the "bluetooth.master.switch" property to see if it's possible to switch roles in the connection.

Daniel

Hi Daniel.

bluetooth.master.switch=false both in S40 and S60.

Hmmm what you said is very interesting because, as I said in a previous message onn this thread, I test my application in Nokia 6288, which is S40 3rd Ed. like your 6111. In Nokia 6288 bluetooth.connected.devices.max=7 and what about your 6111?
    So if it's 7 in 6111 there's something wrong in S40, do you agree?

Please if possible try to install this midlet (it's made of Nokia) on you 6111 and let me know which value has bluetooth.connected.devices.max.
    Regards

I'm sorry to awake this old thread, but it is necessary because all what has been written until now in this thread is absolutely false.
    I have finally had the chance to have my own Bluetooth piconet composed by:
    1. Nokia 6500 classic (S40 5th edition)
    2. Nokia 6288 (S40 3rd edition)
    3. Nokia 6630 (S60 Symbian 8.0a)

After many and many tests I have seen that all three devices can communicate between them in a Bluetooth net withoun any problem.
    Sometimes errors can occur during connection, but I think they are due to the network weakness itself and not about Nokia S40 rather than Nokia S60.
    It's true that these random errors happens principally with S40, but is false than a S40 device used as server/master can't support more than one connection as said here. Furthermore there are no limitations in S40 and if bluetooth.connected.devices.max=7, 7 clients can effectively connect.
    Regards
    Last edited by emasse; 2008-12-24 at 16:55.

As you found some documentation already, I guess you followed its recommended pattern (figure 5) of connection setup.

However, have you tested a master/slave switch while your server has another active connection (figure 6)? This works for my S60 devices and does not work for my Series-40 devices. If that works for you, too, it would be very nice if you could share your trick.

Yes, I follow the figure 5 schema.
    If I well understood figure 6 is a scatternet and I knew than no real devices supports scatternet today, isn't it? Everyway this wasn't my case.

My case is a tipical point-to-multipoint connection and my original problem was:
    1) I've a master device that waits bluetooth connection from other devices
    2) The first device (slave) that attempts to connect to the devices at point 1) has no problem
    3) The second device (slave too) that attempts to connect to the devices at point 1) can't do it if device at point 1) is S40, but can do it if device at point 1) is S60

So I thought the problem was due to S60 and I opened this thread. As you can see we spoken about:
    a) S40 Bluetooth limitations
    b) S40 devices don't support multiple connections

Well, after many test I discovered than points a) and b) are false in my case. The device at point 3) can reach the master at point 1) even if the master is S40.
    In effect if the devices at point 1) and 3) are both S40 the connection is not always established at first attempt, but often at sencond or third attempt, but it can be reached at the end. With S60 no problems.

Thanks.
    Last edited by emasse; 2009-01-16 at 10:44.

emasse, are you sure you understood the (different) concepts of master/slave and server/client? Sorry, I do not understand your clarification as it sounds like you built figure 6. Daniel meant support for figure 6 which is actually possible (!) with S60 devices to some extend and consequently he might simply misunderstood you. So far, I did not manage figure 6 with a Series 40 device as 1st master either.

Ok, probably you're right. In this discussion I assumed master=server and slave=client.
    I read this discussion to have an idea of the difference between master/slave and client/server and my case is described in option 2 (see above link).

Hi emasse,

I am confused of figure-5 schema and figure 6, what are these? And while connecting to server with multiple clients. How the connections should be made, i.e should i disconnect the server, and re-initiate it or should i keep on listening for different clients? However I am facing with "BluetoothConnectionException" when connecting with 2nd client, which iam not facing with 1st client.

I saw many bluetooth games but all can support only one server-client connections, could you please list me some of the games that are best in multi-player using Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, we talked about this. It should explain everything for your case.