Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Audio Routing on E50

My client tells me that routing audio to the earpiece does not work on the application I sent him. He's using an E50 while I'm using an E51. I noticed that the E50 was released (2006) before the audio routing api was created (2007). Could that be the problem? Thanks.

Re: Audio Routing on E50

Does your application use the Audio Routing API? If so then that is almost certainly the problem. It's not the date of release of the API that matters but the fact that it's only available from 3rd FP1 onwards, while the E50 is an original 3rd Edition phone, so you can only use features available in the 3rd MR SDK and plug-in pack.

Sorcery

I see. I looked as the plugins of the initial release and all I could find was the Audio Proxy Server. Would that allow me to do audio routing? Also, does upgrading the firmware also update the developer platform compatibility on the phone? Thanks.

Look at the API and see if it does what you need. Note that the APS is deprecated in the latest releases already though.

As for your other question:
    Also, does upgrading the firmware also update the developer platform compatibility on the phone?
    NO! If you want to support 3rd Edition handsets then you can't use features from later versions. You either have to re-write in a way that works on all devices, create separate versions for different editions, or choose not to support the older models.

I think a lot of people would like to be able to update their phone capabilities like this but Nokia has very little incentive to provide such upgrades at present.

Sorcery

Nokia Developer Moderator

there is also full exmaple application for earpiece/phone speaker routing: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...h_speakers.zip

I'll look at your code. From my initial look at the code, it seems that it deals with call audio only but I could be mistaken. I'm routing audio playback from a sound file.