Discussion Board

Import and export using txt file?

Hello,

I want to use txt file to import and export data between phone and PC. I need some method, which will read one line from the txt file, return it as String, and next time calling this method would read the next line, and so on, till end of file. I would store each line in separate record in record store. And for export I need method which will do the opposite, take a String and write one line in the txt file.

Where could I find more informations and samples how to do it?

Another question, how could I hardcode the path to the txt file, so that it would work on any phone? Something like C:\iotext.txt ?

Thank you

Regular Contributor

Re: Import and export using txt file?

well for taking the datat out i would read the txt file in one go... i would put each line into an array of strings and return that, other than that i believe you could pass the open stream into the method and from there extract the nextLine() method from the open stream object and return that string. again same goes for putting lines into the text file. pass the array into the method which loops through the elements adding lines to the text file as you go or failing that pass the open stream object and string line to the method each time. and if you use an array you can easily loop through it adding to the record store.

i would show you some code but its simple stuff and im at work hope it helps.

and with opening the text file i think there is something available that can let you open a resource stream from the same dir as the class your running, i don't know if this is the same for ME so id google it a bit...

InputStream streamObject = this.getClass().getResourceAsStream("/TEXTFILEHERE.TXT");

check up on what the InputStream class can and cant do and weather you can use it in mobile edition but there you go!
    Last edited by rooossone; 2008-08-28 at 15:57.
    Made With Caffiene And Sleepless Nights

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi guys,

Actually "getResourceAsStream()" won't work as expected. It reads a file from the root of the JAR file (not from filesystem), so in this scenario it would return null.

My suggestion:

- Server side: Use a BufferedReader and its readLine() method to read the file line by line, save it on a Vector or array.
    - Client side: No buffered reader, you have to use InputStreamReader or any other I/O classes for reading and splitting the string by "\n" if needed. Save the file using FileConnection API, using one of the "safe" paths: http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...79F5BE26E.html.

Daniel

Thank you, I will try it.

BTW is there any easier way how to synchronize data between desktop and phone?

Regular Contributor

have you thought about using xml?

its a slightly better than using plain text because it allows you to create a data structure, one that could immitate the fields and tables you have in a database on your pc for example, either way it allows for uniformity and expandability, you wont necessarily have to change code if you make changes or add to an xml document
    Made With Caffiene And Sleepless Nights