Discussion Board

Vendor blocked on n80

Hello
    I have this problem with nokia n80:
    when I try to instal one of our applications it stops in about 70% displaying some problems with certificate. (it doesn't matter whether it's from a .jar or .jad file, OTA or from BT)
    I have noticed that when I change one letter in the midlet vendor everything is fine. So i guess someone had to block this vendor during my absence. So my question is how do I unlock it. I can't seem to find it anywhere, phone reset didn't help either.

Cheers and thanks for any help
    (and sorry for my English - not being my native language)

Regular Contributor

Re: Vendor blocked on n80

Hi,

I dont think there is option to block vendor on cert. [only check the cer matching with the primary key stored in the Phone or perform Online Checking].

Seriously, I experienced this case [installing upto 90% then error] but it due to wrong cert or failure of installation, not because of vendor [I dont know this is important].
    ---Knowledge sharing is power---

Hans

I've been installing several applications from this vendor and everything was ok, till now. Even app. that worked before now require changing the Vendor. My guess is probably someone tried to overwrite already existing application, and then there is a question along those lines:
    "App. comes from different source than original, do you want to make that source thrustworthy" (my translation, 'cause phone has Polish menu )
    And have chosen "no" for that question, which made the phone requiring some special certificates from that vendor.

I'm not an expert on the subject of certificates, but I have a jar file that worked like a 2 weeks ago, and now it doesn't but after I make some minor changes in the vendor it's all ok. So I guess it must something connected with the vendor.

Nokia Developer Expert

I do not know any mechanisms for blocking a certain vendor from having its apps installed.

Most likely what you are facing is an update problem with your midlets. If you first remove the old midlet, then install the new version, it should work.

It's then up to the vendor to fix its update mechanism for the application. Maybe they changed the certificate for new ones or made their midlets untrusted (wild guess).

Daniel

Hi,

i ll just add some info here to the problem
    few days ago application with vendor TEST1 installed and worked properly. TEST1 has no certificate its app is untrusted but installs without any problems.

After few days (probably nothing where changed in settings - we v alse checked all settings and all looks good) the same application (the same jar) wont install anymore. If we just change vendor to TEST or TST1 (whatever) it works again...

if You say there is no way to block/unblock certain vendor then i dont know whats going on

any ideas?

Nokia Developer Expert

Instead of updating the application, remove the previous and install the new one, without modifying the vendor.

If it installs, there's error in the update process. Otherwise, then we are facing a new problem.

Daniel

Believe me we tried that too. What's more I do uninstall the last version of all applications before I install the new one, so it's not the case.
    Guess we have to change our company name, so I can freely install all the apps on the n80 :P :P :P

Nokia Developer Expert

Can you put this app for download somewhere? This way I can test it with my N80.

Daniel