Discussion Board

3650 bug NOKIA PLEASE ANSWER

A couple of months ago, I posted a bug report here about the 3650. The bug was as follows:

The MIDP spec states that when a system screen (like a popup menu of commands) obscures a canvas then the canvas hideNotify() method is called. This allows a game developer to pause the game thread for example. However, the behavior on the 3650 does not follow this. On the 3650, the hideNotify method is called ONLY after the user actually selects one of the commands on the menu! In other words, if I am playing a game, and I bring up a menu, the game loop will continue to run while I think about which menu command to select because the hideNotify meth hasn't been called yet.

For some reason, Nokia removed this post from the forum and never even answered whether this behavior will be fixed in their phones anytime soon.

NOKIA: Please address this issue since it violates the MIDP spec and causes problems for game development. Will it be fixed anytime soon on the actual handsets?

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: 3650 bug NOKIA PLEASE ANSWER

Hi marcilgen,

Could you please tell me what is your 3650's software version (type *#0000# when the 3650 is in telephone mode)?

Best Regards,
    JP / Forum Nokia

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

I tested it and I could reproduce the problem.

showNotify and hideNotify methods work correctly almost all cases except when command menu is shown after left or right soft button press. But when you select the command from the list the show/hideNotify is called. Shortly, if you use commandAction method to catch pressing of commands under the left or right soft button hide/showNotify methods are not immediately called. Through the keyPressed method showNotify and hideNotify are called imediately and they work correctly.

If you use Nokia UI API's FullCanvas class in your game you will not face this problem because commandAction can't be used with FullCanvas class. In FullCanvas all key presses must be caught through the keyPressed method.

I didn't test that problem with the latest software, but I will tell you more when I have done it.

Best Regards,
    JP / Forum Nokia

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

It seems that somebody didn't like my answer...
    All in all, I have made several tests and found as follows. hideNotify problem can be found from the latest 3650 software version aswell. In fact, it can also be found from 7650, so it is some kind of platform feature or problem.

marcilgen wrote:"It is very important for hideNotify() to be called immediately upon the softkey button being pressed to bring up the menu. Again, this is how the MIDP spec says it should be."
    I agree with you and I try to find more information about coming software versions.

Best Regards,
    JP / Forum Nokia

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

As I told you in the previous note 7650 has this problem aswell. There is no information about possible fix to it.

However, there are plans to fix it to the 3650. Hopefully it will happen soon.

Best Regards,
    JP / Forum Nokia