Discussion Board

[moved] Silent auth. with username and password on Nokia VPN Client for S60 3.1

I managed to configure VPN client on my brand new E71, and I am using VPN based AP for syncing my email, organizer and contacts. Since the phone supports encrypted storage, and the user guide for VPN client claims that this version supports silent authentication with username and password (page 20), I thought that it would be great to configure "mail for exchange" to sync automatically every so often during off-peak hours (i.e. 30 mins). Right now, I have to set it on always on, which unnecessarily drains the battery, and since the connection drops whenever I leave the area of network coverage, I get the username and password prompt with syncing disabled until I react.

Unfortunately, after browsing all available online resources, I couldn't find any information on how to set up that. The guide explains how to set up silent authentication using certificates, but says nothing on how to do that for username and password. Policy file specification doesn't offer any configuration parameters for XAUTH authentication, except for the pre-shared group authentication. There is also a configuration for CRACK based set up, but nothing for XAUTH.

Can someone help me with this?

Re: [moved] Silent auth. with username and password on Nokia VPN Client for S60 3.1

Hello

Can you you tell me HOW you managed to configure your VPN connection? I just bought my E71 and I am still unable to figure out how to configure the VPN ...

Thank you very much!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [moved] Silent auth. with username and password on Nokia VPN Client for S60 3.1

There is an apparently neverending thread about VPN, check if it helps you: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=80837

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    There is an apparently neverending thread about VPN, check if it helps you: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=80837
    This is exactly my problem... I spent already 3 hours and I cannot figure out from 21 pages of posts what to do exactly...

I would appreciate very much (and maybe some other users in the future) if you would explain briefly how you did it.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by crapufish View Post
    I would appreciate very much (and maybe some other users in the future) if you would explain briefly how you did it.
    1) Created vpn.pin and vpn.pol files, using the documentation on http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.co..._downloads.php
    There are examples of both files in the specification and user guide, as well as in the thread you refer to. If your VPN uses XAUTH, you can use the attached files, just change IP_ADDRESS_VPN_GATEWAY, GROUP_NAME, GROUP_PASSWORD and GROUP_PASSWORD_LENGTH_CHARACTERS parameters.
    2) Upload both files to Nokia in the same directory, and open vpn.pin with file manager - the policy will be installed.
    3) Create VPN access point using VPN policy.
    4) Start the browser or email application, using created VPN access point for connection.

vpn.pin:
    Code:
    [POLICYNAME]
    My Intranet
    [POLICYVERSION]
    [POLICYDESCRIPTION]
    Secure remote Intranet access
    [ISSUERNAME]
    My Company
    [CONTACTINFO]
    vpnsupport@mycompany.com
    vpn.pol:
    Code:
    SECURITY_FILE_VERSION: 3
    [INFO]
    VPN-Policy for Nokia Mobile VPN Client v3.0.
    [POLICY]
    sa ipsec_1 = {
    esp
    encrypt_alg 3
    max_encrypt_bits 256
    auth_alg 2
    identity_remote 0.0.0.0/0
    src_specific
    hard_lifetime_bytes 0
    hard_lifetime_addtime 3600
    hard_lifetime_usetime 3600
    soft_lifetime_bytes 0
    soft_lifetime_addtime 3600
    soft_lifetime_usetime 3600
    }

remote 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 = { ipsec_1(IP_ADDRESS_VPN_GATEWAY) }
    inbound = { }
    outbound = { }

[IKE]
    ADDR: IP_ADDRESS_VPN_GATEWAY 255.255.255.255
    MODE: Aggressive
    SEND_NOTIFICATION: TRUE
    ID_TYPE: 11
    FQDN: GROUP_NAME
    GROUP_DESCRIPTION_II: MODP_1024
    USE_COMMIT: FALSE
    IPSEC_EXPIRE: FALSE
    SEND_CERT: FALSE
    INITIAL_CONTACT: FALSE
    RESPONDER_LIFETIME: TRUE
    REPLAY_STATUS: TRUE
    USE_INTERNAL_ADDR: FALSE
    USE_NAT_PROBE: FALSE
    ESP_UDP_PORT: 0
    NAT_KEEPALIVE: 60
    USE_XAUTH: TRUE
    USE_MODE_CFG: TRUE
    REKEYING_THRESHOLD: 90
    PROPOSALS: 1
    ENC_ALG: 3DES-CBC
    AUTH_METHOD: PRE-SHARED
    HASH_ALG: MD5
    GROUP_DESCRIPTION: MODP_1024
    GROUP_TYPE: DEFAULT
    LIFETIME_KBYTES: 0
    LIFETIME_SECONDS: 28800
    PRF: NONE
    PRESHARED_KEYS:
    FORMAT: STRING_FORMAT
    KEY: GROUP_PASSWORD_LENGTH_CHARACTERS GROUP_PASSWORD

Hello!

Thanks for the instructions!

I did that except that when I open the pin file with the file manager, it says it cannot install the policy ("Failed to install policy '' reason code -1")

Any ideas why?

Thank you!

I suspect it's something with the character encoding as when I open the other file (.pol) with file manager, it shows strange characters there... I encoded the file with ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1), CRLF (Windows) ...
    Might this be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by tvujec View Post
    Unfortunately, after browsing all available online resources, I couldn't find any information on how to set up that. The guide explains how to set up silent authentication using certificates, but says nothing on how to do that for username and password. Policy file specification doesn't offer any configuration parameters for XAUTH authentication, except for the pre-shared group authentication. There is also a configuration for CRACK based set up, but nothing for XAUTH.

Can someone help me with this?
    Same issue here on my e71. Did you find any solution to storing the VPN user/password details?

Put

USE_CACHE: TRUE

into your policy file, in the [IKE] section.

Cheers, L.