Discussion Board

Java Verified or VeriSign??

I have a very simple J2ME application that accesses JSR-75. In order to certify my application, should I go for java verified certification or Verisign? Could anyone who has certification experience guide me on this.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Java Verified or VeriSign??

Hi 2sents,

Java Verified is a process that involves several steps to get your application certified: it usually requires more time and effort (and costs..) than using a Trusted 3rd party Authority certificate (like Verisign). Also, an external testing company will take care of manually testing your application and, if tests fail, you should repeat the whole process from the beginning..

Said that, Java Verified Program has for sure also its benefits (like a broader devices support).

Buying a certificate from a Trusted 3rd party authority is usually faster and, since you can use your certificate for all the applications you want (within the certificate validity period), it has also lower costs.

Hope this helps!
    Pit

Hi Jappit,

Thank You for this information. Yes, I'm aware of the procedures to obtain Java Verified and that obtaining a Java Verified certificate is a one time cost while a VeriSign certificate would require an annual charge.

My J2ME client is a very simple and small (only a few kb in size) J2ME application. All that the J2ME client does is upload the phonebook using JSR-75. The rest of the application works through the browser. So, in a case like this where my J2ME client would not require further changes, would Java Verified be a better option or VeriSign? My intention is to have my client to be able to run on all phone that have JSR-75 in them.

Nokia Developer Expert

I'd go with a Verisign cert for your use case. Otherwise you'd be depending on certifying your app with Java Verified for each group of equivalent devices. Let's say your customer has 10 employees, each with a different phone model. That would be a pain to handle with JV.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel.
    But I thought that Java Verified certification is not tied to a particular device!!? While they might test & provide certification for one particular lead device, won't the application work as a certified application for other devices as well?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi 2sents.

JV certification is not done device-per-device, indeed. Instead, there are groups of devices for which an app can be verified and certified.

For example: 6131 is an S40 phone quite similar to 6131 NFC, and other S40 3rd. FP 2 devices. Therefore when you certify your app for 6131, it's certified for the other devices in the group as well.

But groups are small. JV'ing your app for 6131 does not mean it applies for N95 for example. You'd have to certify it again for N95 and its group.

Groups are defined here: http://www.javaverified.com/news.jsp?aid=20080819

Daniel

Smile Re: Java Verified or VeriSign??

Thank you dcrocha,

I always wanted the current Devices List (CLDC 1.1) as much categorized as this. I also got the old ones which have
    CLDC 1.0 & etc.

Regards,
    Vijay