Discussion Board

how to handle low memory condition while loading a standby theme in Symbian S60

Hi,
    I am new to symbian C++ programming.I am using HAL::GET function for finding the threshold RAM memory left value.But i am not sure where to put this check condition so that a new standby theme selected by user doesnt appear and a pop-up message(Low memory) is dispalyed.I want the old theme to be displayed eventually after the pop-up.

Thanks in advance!!

-Akash

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how to handle low memory condition while loading a standby theme in Symbian S60

What are you doing when you get the message ?
    Basically, if it is your own application, it could also mean that you are trying to use more heap than you have specified as max (default max is about 1mb).

Re: how to handle low memory condition while loading a standby theme in Symbian S60

Thanks for the reply,

Let me elaborate the issue.Actually i am checking few applications like standby themes,real player,fm radio etc under low memory conditions(which is explicitly done by eating up RAM memory with Loadgen tool).Now while applying a new standby theme, i am getting a panic(standby panic).Its not my application,its basically a bug happening in s60 Nokia platform.Now i want to avoid the panic and show a Memory full pop up message and revert back to the old theme instead of selected theme getting applied.But i dont know where exactly i shall put the memory check condition.I have to stop the new theme getting created.I have found HAL::Get function for finding the RAM memory left.What would be the best way to acheive this otherwise?
    please help me on this.
    Thanks and Regards,
    -Akashsaxena

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can not really control external application, but if you do some memory intensive stuff in your own app, you could always check the RAM just before recerving any RAM.

Smile Re: how to handle low memory condition while loading a standby theme in Symbian S60

thanks for the reply!!

The issue is fixed!!
    Thanks and Regards,
    -Akashsaxena