Discussion Board

Question [moved] nokia 40 series, alarm clock applikation howto?

Hi,

Keywords: Nokia 40 series, "alarm clock" application, autostart, PushRegistry, workaround, use something else than a midlet?

How to develop an application for the nokia 40 series, that works as a "custom" alarm clock. 1) You set the alarm to time t 2) at time t the application starts and does whatever the application is designed to do...

My problem: I have discovered that J2ME PushRegistry.registerAlarm() is no good for an alarm clock application, as it requires the (zzz sleeping) user to press "confirm" to autostart the application:

- http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ies_40_MIDlets

My question: What is the workaround to write an alarm clock? How do you write a working alarm clock application for the Nokia 40 series that has
    1) Alarm application with custom behaviour, not just play an mp3 etc like the built-in alarm does.
    2) Starts even if the phone is off (not essential though)

NOTE: It does NOT have to be a midlet, anything goes!

Thank you in advance,

"Kostas", Pimin Konstantin Kefaloukos

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: nokia 40 series, alarm clock applikation howto?

I'm moving this to the Java forums, it is the only programming language option for your targeted platform so this topic should be discussed there.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

skippergongen, welcome to the Forum Nokia discussion boards.

I do not think you can implement such application on Series 40, if Java and PushRegistry does not cut it.
    Flash Lite is another application environment on many Series 40 phones, but that does not support anything close to that.

And I think using the phone's internal calendar is also out of the question?

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    skippergongen, welcome to the Forum Nokia discussion boards.

I do not think you can implement such application on Series 40, if Java and PushRegistry does not cut it.
    Flash Lite is another application environment on many Series 40 phones, but that does not support anything close to that.

And I think using the phone's internal calendar is also out of the question?

Hartti
    Thanks for your reply. I'm going to implement the alarm so that you need to keep the midlet running, but now the problem is that the battery is drained.

I use a GameCanvas running in a thread. If I implement a "sleep" mode with a combination of sleeping the thread for a long time, and not calling flushGraphics on my GameCanvas run method when in "sleep" mode, that should conserve battery, right?

What is another good strategy to conserve battery life when running a midlet non-stop?

Super Contributor

Re: [moved] nokia 40 series, alarm clock applikation howto?

u do take into account that a user might accidentally push the red button right ? then the midlet stops...

Re: [moved] nokia 40 series, alarm clock applikation howto?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post
    u do take into account that a user might accidentally push the red button right ? then the midlet stops...
    I'd like to take that into account, but not much that can be done i quess?

One could of course schedule a reminder to turn on the alarm using PushRegistry, but if the user has gone to bed, that's no good...

Tricky problem