Discussion Board

Installing carbide.c++ 1.3 for N73 application

Hi,
    After a couple of weeks learning symbian c++ from books and wonderfull forums like this, I decide to start programming my application (a GPRS proxy for using with a midlet and avoid access point selection).

Here my nigthmare starts, I have sucesfully complete some tasks:

1- Installing carbide.c++ 1.3
    2- Installing active pearl (correct version)
    3- Installing S60 3th SDK (I use MR but I try too with Initial release)

But I cannot complete other tasks like:
    1- When I compile an application for debug release (the emulator only starts up, but never starts the application I selected). But if I go to the release folder into the epoc directory and I run the application by double-click in the exe file, It works (in a weird manner but it works).

2- When I select phone release (GCCE) I have to add the sis generation (I don't know what to select in the Content search location). I build it, sign the application in the symbiansigned web, but when I try to install it on the phone, an error saying (Application not Compatible with phone) I read http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=100605 but the problem perssist. I think I must create rsc file. Any good info about that?

Sorry, I know I'm a noob but the getting started doc of carbide sucks a lot. There isn't any good doc about installing carbide.c++ and running console and gui applications in the emulator and in the phone???

Thanks a lot.

Super Contributor

Re: Installing carbide.c++ 1.3 for N73 application

After a couple of weeks learning symbian c++ from books and wonderfull forums like this, I decide to start programming my application (a GPRS proxy for using with a midlet and avoid access point selection).

Here my nigthmare starts, I have sucesfully complete some tasks:

1- Installing carbide.c++ 1.3
    2- Installing active pearl (correct version)
    3- Installing S60 3th SDK (I use MR but I try too with Initial release)
    When you want to use midlet, are you sure you want to install C++ SDK and Tool ?
    But I cannot complete other tasks like:
    1- When I compile an application for debug release (the emulator only starts up, but never starts the application I selected). But if I go to the release folder into the epoc directory and I run the application by double-click in the exe file, It works (in a weird manner but it works).
    Assuming you are using GUI application .
    You can go to installation folder to launch. Or change the debug settings.
    [QUOTE]

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by amarzo View Post
    1- When I compile an application for debug release (the emulator only starts up, but never starts the application I selected).
    Maybe you should try http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    When you want to use midlet, are you sure you want to install C++ SDK and Tool ?
    I need a midlet (already done) and I also need the symbian daemon (trying to do).

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Emulator is very very slow.. :(
    I'm sorry but I cann't find Preferences. I start the emulator, go to Tools, but in tools there is only Voice cm., Voic.mail, Spd.dial, Themes, Actv.keys, etc...

Symbian_Neil, I notice that you use Carbice.c++ 1.3 the same I want to use (Express edition) could you say me what steps you made for installing, emulating and deploy a simple application.

Again, thanks a lot.

I'm sorry but I cann't find Preferences. I start the emulator, go to Tools, but in tools there is only Voice cm., Voic.mail, Spd.dial, Themes, Actv.keys, etc...
    Tools -> Preferences-> C++ Debug tab you have extended panic code which can be enabled. Alternatively you could create a zero-sized file named ErrRd (no file name extension) under the PC's directory %EPOCROOT%\epoc32\wins[cw|b]\c\resource\

Symbian_Neil, I notice that you use Carbice.c++ 1.3 the same I want to use (Express edition) could you say me what steps you made for installing, emulating and deploy a simple application.
    Check the SDK document under Getting started guide. Also there are screencasts available http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...s/carbide_cpp/

Sorry, but the getting started guide it's not very complete.

I try to build and debug 3rd-Future ed. Gui Application template, it works ok (like in the screencast). And also after sign it with symbianregister it works on the mobile!!! thank you a lot.

But I need to code a daemon and I think it should be a console application, there is info about create, compile, debug and deploy console apps.

Thanks a lot. You save me.

Carbide does not generates all necessary files for console applications (no icon and no installer file - since Carbide supposes that GUI-less executables will be part of something else, or at least they are going to be launched automatically on boot).
    You can find a minimal complete example in http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=110301

Thanks wizard_hu_, I'm sorry for asking all the time.

If it's usefull here is an explanation of a simple way to debug console apps http://mobiledevices.kom.aau.dk/deve..._applications/

I will check your info

Yes, the Aalborg guys are pretty good, however that page explains an emulator-related method, you can not do that on the device - in fact it all depends on what you exactly want to achieve.