Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFC Newbie (6131 card emulation)

Dear All,
    I like to use the 6131 phone as a wallet. Once the phone is touching an external reader, I would like the midlet in the phone to pass the amount, phone number and the credit card info to the reader. The reader then would do the payment processing and send an sms to the phone confirming the transaction. How can I realize this senario ?, I have a Nokia 6131 NFC and a Mifare reader.

I suppose,
    1) I emulate the internal card of the 6131 NFC phone to store the credit card number.

2) Once the phone comes to contact with the reader, it would then launch the midlet (perhaps using the Push registry and then making a connection to the internal card and then act as an initiator)

3) send the data to the reader, sign off

Is there any other method of doing it ?, is this a standard way ?. any feedback and critics are highly appreciated.
    thanks
    Enya

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: NFC Newbie (6131 card emulation)

To launch midlet you need a tag. If you touch tag reader with a phone, phone will not start midlet.

Use midlet to populate balance, credit card info and so on on internal Mifare4k card (you need to sign your midlet). When you touch your phone to reader it should read&update phone's tag.

Why are you guys using 6131? 6212 SDK is so much better.

Actually you do not need a midlet to pass the amount of money to the reader. For a wallet you need two componentes

1 x Midelt, as an interface/GUI for your wallet
    1 x Applet [Java Card]/Data in Secure element [Mifare] (= Money)

When touching a reader, the reader is talking to the secure element and taking the money.

Cheers, geri-m

This means,

The Midlet
    Would be used to read the balance money in the java card applet. Launches when the user activates this application ?

The Applet
    Would be used to read/write money from the internal secure element. Gets activated by an external reader ?

I believe the midlet and the Applet can be run on the emulator in the NFC SDK. But if I have to test on a real phone, the phone has to be unlocked to store the midlet and the applet on it and I need a signed applet to read(even read only) the secure element of the phone ?.

thankyou
    Enya

Well, you are mixing things:

The Midlet (J2ME) is running on the phone. The Applet (JCOP) is running in the secure element. The Midlet can communicet with the Applet thru the JSR177 to read/write the data in the secure element.

The MIdlet can either be launched by:
    - Manually: user selection from the menu
    - Listeners/PushRegistry

The Applet is an application holding the money; the Applet running in the seucre chip of the mobile. BUT you could also use only the Mifare Section of the secure elemtn to save data there. In this case you do not need the applet.

Yes, both the applet and the midlet can be run in the emulator.

In oder to load the Applet in to the secure element the phone needs to be unlocked.

WIth regard to the midlet, the midlet has to be sigend in order to access the JSR177 and communicate with the secure element.

Dear Geri-m,

Many thanks for a clear introduction. Now I get to know more, hope some day I will post some useful stuff here for others.

One part I didnt understand,

The MIdlet can either be launched by:
    - Manually: user selection from the menu
    - Listeners/PushRegistry
    Can this midlet be launched when it comes near the Omnikey Reader ? and read the Mifare section of the secure element and transmit this data to the reader in the initiator more ?. By this I would store the money(credit card info) in the secure element and provide it to the reader when I come in contact to the reader ?.

cheers
    Enya

Hi Enya,

Yes, a midlet can be lauchned when it comes near an omnikey reader. See the TransactionListner Interface Implementation.

You do not need a Midlet to transfer the information over the contactless interface to the reader. The reader can directly read the information out of the secure element. The secure element is direcly wired with the antenna of the phone and thereofore the reader can used this way of communicaiton to exchagen data (money, etc.)

In case you would like to have the Midet as an Inititator (we are talking now about NFC peer-to-peer MOde), the midlet requires a peer-2-peer Target on the other side. An OK Reader is not an peer-2-peer target, as it does not even "talk" NFC.

Cheers, geri-m

Dear Geri-m,
    Since the OK reader can read my SE, can I store/edit some data on the SE (MiFare) using the OK reader ?.Would I need to know the access keys of the SE ?..How do I get this access keys ..from Nokia ?.

The problem is my scenario deals with a use case where the phone would store more than one credit card info in the secure element.

When the phone comes to the vicinity of the reader, the user has to select which card (Master/visa) he wants to pay with and then he chooses his fav card and then the transaction continues. Thats why I was thinking I should launch a midlet when I come towards a reader and then let the user initiate the transfer. If it is one card, then the midlet can be launched to display the status of the transactions while the reader is accessing the SE area. Am I getting it right ?

cheers
    Enya

Quote Originally Posted by enyab View Post
    Dear Geri-m,
    Since the OK reader can read my SE, can I store/edit some data on the SE (MiFare) using the OK reader ?.Would I need to know the access keys of the SE ?..How do I get this access keys ..from Nokia ?.
    - Yes, the oK Reader can store/edit information in SE/Mifare
    - After unlocking the phone, you can use the standards keys; in case you don't want to unlock the phone you need to talk to venyon for secure element ($$$$$)

The problem is my scenario deals with a use case where the phone would store more than one credit card info in the secure element.
    You can use different mifare sectors, or different JCOP Applets in differnt security domains; do one applet holding different credentials. no problem.

When the phone comes to the vicinity of the reader, the user has to select which card (Master/visa) he wants to pay with and then he chooses his fav card and then the transaction continues. Thats why I was thinking I should launch a midlet when I come towards a reader and then let the user initiate the transfer. If it is one card, then the midlet can be launched to display the status of the transactions while the reader is accessing the SE area. Am I getting it right ?
    cheers
    Enya
    Yes than sound reasonalbe; you could use the midlet to set a flag in the creditcard (= applet) choosen by the user/Midlet to enable it for one transaction.

cheers, geri-m

Hi Geri-m,
    Just to clarify myself

To Store credit card details (MOney), I can either use
    1) An external reader can write to the Mifare sector in the SE (without JCOP applets).
    2) Write a midlet to write to the MiFare sector in the SE (even for developing and testing and even if the phone is unlocked). To display the contents of the MiFare sectors the Midlet (as a GUI) must be signed too.

For case 2, even to read or write I need a JCOP signed applet running on the SE.

Cheers
    Enya

ad 1) yes, correct
    ad 2) yes, correct as well

For case 2, even to read or write I need a JCOP signed applet running on the SE.

you do have two options:
    (a) Use the "MFStandardConnection" of a J2ME Midlet
    (b) use an applet (JCOP) using the ExtSystem.sReadWriteMifare() functionality of the G&D SmartC@fe. (not part of standard Java Card OS)

Cheers, Geri-m

Hi Geri-m,
    Thanks again, you are teaching me a lot of stuff difficult for me to learn from the docs ..although written somewhere..

a) Use the "MFStandardConnection" of a J2ME Midlet
    use the following in the midlet on the phone ?
    String uri = System.getProperty("internal.mf.url");
    MFStandardConnection mfStdConn = (MFStandardConnection) Connector.open(uri);
    does ("internal.mf.url") apply for the SDK too?. Just that this midlet has to be signed if it needs to run on the phone ?.

But if it is a midlet which DOES NOT access the SE, I dont need it signed and can be run on the phone ?

cheers
    Enya

Hi,

more info on the MFConnection can be found here:

<http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111941> or here:

<http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/c0e905fa-0436-476c-b209-96ccd44e4e9c/Nokia_6131_NFC_SDK_Programmers_Guide_v1_1_en.pdf.html>

If it is a midlet which DOES NOT access the SE, I dont need it signed right? => correct, but for other things, like not asking the user to confirm things all the Time (eg. setup of data connection) you have to sign you midlet as well. Just get a certificate and sign your midlets. It save you a lot of head ache.

Cheers, geri-m

Hi,
    I tried to ask the dealer from whom I brought the phone he said he does not have the keys for the secure element (Mifare part). I tried to ask Nokia care and they say they will not give the keys...
    below are the mails.

From dealer

Hallo,

vielen Dank für Ihre Mail. Sie erhalten von uns das Gerät mit dem Standardzubehör, jedoch erhalten Sie kein "Schlüsselnummer" von uns.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    XXXXXXXXXX
    Mobilebomber.de
    omniconn GmbH
    Ricardostr. 4
    D-28307 Bremen
    From Nokia care

Sehr geehrter Kunde,

Vielen Dank für Ihre Kontaktaufnahme mit Nokia Care.

We wish to inform you that we can’t provide you this information.

Wenn Sie noch weitere Fragen oder Anregungen haben sollten, können Sie sich jederzeit wieder an uns wenden.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    XXXXX XXXXX
    Nokia Care
    How can I get these keys..I pay for buying my phone right. And I am not given what I pay for ?.

Well, Nokia provides the unlock tool ;-) Then you know the keys. After unlocking it, you can use your own keys.

If you would like to use it without unlocking it, you will have to buy around 1000+ Handsets and get a nice contract with one the big players. Making such a thing for a single user is to expensive/too much paper work (we are talking about HIGH Security!).

cheers, geri-m