Discussion Board

How to test components which only run from ROM?

Hi,

as I understand certain components will only run on the device when installed in the ROM, e.g. Extended Notifier Framework plugin. How can we develop such components as a 3rd party developer? Probably it is possible to develop the component in the emulator, but in the end it needs to be tested on the device.

How would that work? What equipment is needed? What SW is needed to build a ROM image? How to flash the phone with the new ROM image? Do we need to go onsite to a Nokia facility for testing and development of such a component?

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven
    Inmote - Creative Smartphone Solutions
    Web: www.inmote.com
    E-mail: rene@inmote.com

Super Contributor

Re: How to test components which only run from ROM?

You would need the required development tools and environments from the device manufacturer. You cannot do it with public SDKs and not even Symbian DevKits.

If you were to do things as a Nokia subcontractor, Nokia would provide you all that you require. If you are an independent developer, you're probably outside the range of options practically available for you.

Super Contributor

I recommend reading the notifier's white paper over at Symbian
    (http://developer.symbian.com/main/do...n_Services.pdf)

The Symbian documentation on this is a bit misleading as you can write your own notifiers

Its very unlikely you need the extended API as this is more or less a hardware interface.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

OK - thanks for both replies.

What if the customer is an operator? Should the operator in that case supply the appropriate tools (via Nokia)?

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven

Regular Contributor

I haven't read that paper but it seems its talking about RNotifer - well there's noting to stop an RNotifier derived object from running on the emulator, I have done it so myself.

If this is intended for a specific phone then yes you'll need to obtain one. If its not released yet you will obviously have to get one from the operator, who will get one from the manufacturer.

Hi,

maybe my question is not clear enough. It is obvious that you can develop software components in the emulator and test them in the emulator. But ultimately the component needs to be tested on a real device.

This is a problem if the component only runs from within the ROM or customer requirement state it shall run from the ROM.

Now my question basically comes down to: How realistic is it that an opeator will be able to supply all equipment needed to create the ROM image and flash a device with the ROM image containing my SW components for testing purposes. If there is any bugs, then probably this needs several iterations.

My conclusion is to keep speed in the development process I need to be onsite where the ROM image can be build and flashed or the equipment needs to come to my place (which I consider unlikely).

If a 3rd party developer or operator can not do such a development project, then I cannot make a quotation for such a project (when we promise we will/have to deliver). If the cycle of creating ROMs and Flash them into devices takes very long (visiting remote locations; sending devices in surface mail for flashing), then the development process takes a lot longer (which needs to be reflected in costs; we do not like to go broke).

Did anyone work with an operator and developed any components which were integrated in the ROM? How did this process work in general terms? Was the operator able to deliver/supply the required equipment?

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven

The Extended Notifier Framework was just an example. I am more interested in an answer on the question whether it is possible to develop ROM based components for a 3rd party developer in co-operation with an operator.
    Rene Heuven

Super Contributor

See this
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._0_en.pdf.html

A lot of this will depend on what you want to do. The primary limitation is going to be binary compatability depending on how far down the chain you want to go.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Super Contributor

Note also that the network operator is not likely to get any of the tools and software and access to generate their own customized firmware versions, and flash them on R&D/prototype or final/production devices. For that, you'd always have to go all the way to the manufacturer, or a subcontractor that the manufacturer has authorized with the required tools and access.