Discussion Board

mmf controller plugin

Hi,

Do I need to write a write an "mmf controller plugin" for progressively playing a video file using "CVideoPlayerUtility" OpenDesL() method. Playing buffer will increase in background.

For my requirement I have to play the Video in progressive way using OpenDesL(). Please guide me if I am thinking in a wrong direction.

-Ashish Garg

Re: mmf controller plugin

Hi,

Why do you have to use CVideoPlayerUtility::OpenDesL()? That is still intended for a whole clip in a single descriptor.

Why do you need to use CVideoPlayerUtility at all?

If you are planning to implement your own player for progressive download (which is basically what you would be doing with an MMF controller plug-in) then you don't have to use the MMF at all if you don't want to.

If you really MUST use CVideoPlayerUtility then yes, you'll have to write a controller plug-in, since that is what the utility loads. Unless you are also getting tech support from Nokia and using DevVideo to access the built-in codecs then you might struggle a bit with performance. A/V sync is also very tricky. Don't underestimate this - it would be a very big project.

Sorcery

Hi Sorcery

Thanks for the quick response.

There is no compulsion on using either CVideoPlayerUtility or writing a mmf controller plugin for it.

My requirement is to play a video in progressive way. We are receiving video data in chunks, from a local file.

Please suggest a way to implement this approach.

-Ashish Garg

Hi Sorcery,

Personally I'd suggest that if you don't know how this should be done then do something else. It's too hard.

If you've got no choice then it depends whether it's a commercial project or a personal/academic thing.

If the latter then use the "feed extra data to the end of the file" hack that has been discussed a lot on this board.

If the former then it will depend on what formats you need to support. FLV is probably the easiest since one of my fellow forum Nokia Champions has opened the source code to his FLV player. If you need to use the built-in codecs then you will need tech support from Nokia.

Sorcery

Hi Sorcery,

I am working on a commercial project and targeting the MP4 which I supposed a part of in-built codec of Nokia N95(Primary target device).

I supposed its a bit hard to implement still I want to know the solution before making a decision.

-Ashish Garg

Hi,

Please check other posts about this on the board. Not all MP4 files are suitable for progressive download (i.e. you have to download most of the file before you can start playing it). There are tools which can convert an MP4 so that it is suitable but unless you control all the content then this isn't an option.

If you do go ahead with this then to do it properly I'd strongly advise you get technical support from Forum Nokia as a next step. You will probably have to use the DevVideo API and that will need partnering as it isn't in the SDK API plug-in pack for FP1 (N95), only FP2. They might have another solution for you though...

Hope that helps,
    Sorcery