Discussion Board

Best Signing Option for just fun programming

I recently started to play around with Carbide and some native c++ programming. I have several ideas for some useful and some not so useful programs using lbs, so I have started to do simple coding. To my surprise I could not download the program to my Nokia N95. It kept giving me certificate error. So I read up the discussion FAQ and realized that I can't do that without signing the applications. I am sure everyone here is aware of this, but it was news to me.

So my question is, if I am just writing code for myself and want to test my programs on the N95, what is my best option for signing the applications....

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Best Signing Option for just fun programming

for hobbyinst, it is either Self-signed or the on-line signing. And self-signing would be easier and faster, but has more limited sets of capabilities you could use with your application.

For Location capability, self-signing is not enough (you can search for "Assigning Capabilities" in the SDK Help for a quick-check, but sooner or later it is advisable getting "The Complete Guide To Symbian Signed" from the opening page of www.symbiansigned.com).

AFAIK, with 3rd ed FP2, Location is self-signable capability, but pre-FP2, wiz is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    AFAIK, with 3rd ed FP2, Location is self-signable capability
    Yes, I also thought about mentioning that...
    but pre-FP2, wiz is correct.
    ... but did not, since the question was about N95.

hmmm, missed the target device. I guess, I should get classes, though last time I got my eye sight checked, they said that I look good enough without classes already...

OK.. Many thanks for the quick replies. So if I understand correctly, even though I am using S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_v1.1, I can not self sign LBS capability, because I have the latest and greatest N95 :-)

No, you do not have the latest and greatest device and that is why you should not use the latest and greatest SDK either but instead for that device you should use the S60 3rd Edition SDK FP1.

Please see the Device Specifications pages and also the link in my signature.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

OK I have read through your links.. excellent information and should be required reading for all developers here. I just wish I had read those before I installed all the IDE/SDK tools on my system. Just for kicks, what is best Nokia smartphone these days, which has all the capabilities of N95 plus others!!!

Nokia N96 is the latest shipping phone but others have been announced recently. As for which one is the best I couldn't say, everyone is looking at each phone from a different angle.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite