Discussion Board

Thread: eswt

eswt

As part S60 3rd edition emulator, I see eswt UI api. Would it be possible to use these api on real devices say N70,6600 or N73.

Which is the best place to know more about these api and any good example on the same pl.

Regards,
    Raja Nagendra Kumar,
    C.T.O
    www.tejasoft.com

Super Contributor

Re: eswt

Hi,

I assume it's possible to use eSWT on real devices, otherwise it would be pointless to have it

I suppose you've already read the developers library section on eSWT. You can check the Wiki, which has some examples. Here are some articles:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/ESWT
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...log_in_Java_ME
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ser_in_Java_ME

Hi bogdan,

Thank you for the pointers. They seem to be really helpful for further exploration.

B.T.W is eSWT work on any phone or only on 3rd edition phones as said in http://blogs.s60.com/java/S60_eSWT_article.pdf.

if eswt is pure javaME api based impl with no native calls to s60 platform, then it should be possible to use them as UI libary and should run on any phone..

However from my study so far on the documents, it does not look like is its portable, unless the device manufacturer supports it.

Regards,
    Raja Nagendra Kumar,
    C.T.O
    www.tejasoft.com
    Last edited by nagkumar; 2008-09-05 at 20:06.

Super Contributor

Sorry to say I have little experience with eSWT and from that document to mentioned it looks like it's available on S60 3rd ed FP2 devices. Meaning it wouldn't work on N70, 6600 or N73. But I'm sure someone with more experience can clear this up.

Super Contributor

eSWT is a new API included in the S60 3rd Edition FP2 phones. This API is NOT available on eralier platform versions. You also cannot add that support on those phones.

If you need some more widely available UI API, check these
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._UI_Frameworks

Hartti

Hi,

It has been a while I have been hearing about new UI to improve the applications view on Phones. This way I am hearing bout UIQ, Native Symbion UI, Nokia UI and now eswt and may be eRCP, I am sure there could more which I am unaware of.

Just wanted to know from forum, if any one has deeper insites into where Mobile UI frameworks would evolve or which one wins clearly.

Basically, we wish to suggest our clients which direction to take so that their investment is safegaured at least a year down the line.

B.T.W we also clearly see a big competition from pure J2ME UI frameworks which could work on old phones is www.kalmeo.org/projects/kuix and mobile disterllery and j2mepolish (leaving aside the licence costs associatd).

Regards,
    Raja Nagendra Kumar,
    C.T.O
    www.tejasoft.com

Super Contributor

well if u havent followed the gui-scene for a while check lwuit
    it's from sun and it's pretty new (released last momth)...
    demo works pretty nice on my S40 test platforms but is a little sluggish on the S60 platform

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post
    well if u havent followed the gui-scene for a while check lwuit
    it's from sun and it's pretty new (released last momth)...
    demo works pretty nice on my S40 test platforms but is a little sluggish on the S60 platform
    Hi Tiger,

Thank you for this recent info.. Demo looks prety nice..

This info adds to our thoughts that gui toolkits in pure canvas way should be the way of the future.

B.T.W do u see this release product ready (are u trying to use this in real products)

Regards,
    Raja Nagendra Kumar

Super Contributor

well there has been a release candidate and it seems pretty well-polished and stable...
    obviously its from sun and they got a decent development team which is developing it...
    personally I'm not sure if I would use it in a real-life product, depending if I would target specific devices or all Java devices... As I mentioned I would use it if I would target S40 devices specifically cause it has a good user-experience there, but as I mentioned its kinda sluggish on the S60... I guess that's because of the fact those arent Native Java phones, cause it can't be because of computing power... The demo just doesnt quite feel fast enough on my N95, which after all should be one of the fastes mobiles around, while it runs smoothly on my 6233...

About the fact that Canvas is the way to go, well, it's the only way to go cause u dont have any other options with midp 2.0...
    If there will ever come a midp 3.0 things might change if it contains good gui-api's... obviously we'll see when that time comes if it will be interesting at all to develop for j2me seeing how the market will be fragmentized in the short future (think Iphone, Android)...
    After all if u want to develop for Symbian and Windows Mobile u can do that in C++ also with much more possibilities than j2me... Iphone might start supporting a kvm in the future but still we'll have to see what api's will be supported and Android is another story altogether...

to stay competitive midp 3.0 has to be introduced, fast actually, it has been under developmnent for 3 years now, in the meantime the situation has changed dramatically and j2me doesnt offer any real advantages anymore apart from the possibility of adressing a wide spectrum of devices, but that will change with the market fragmentation...