Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

APS not supporting FP1 devices

Hi all,

I've tried to use the latest version of Nokia Audio Proxy Server (Plug-in Pack For FP1 v2.5, APS v2.43) on our FP1-based N82 and found that RAPSSession::Connect() returns -5 (KErrNotSupported). How can it be?

You know, it's one thing that APS is a temporary add-on and will not be supported on FP2 devices (like our N78, where the symptom is the same) and higher, but it must still support MR and FP1-based devices, right?

Any help on how I could make APS work on our N82?

Thanks in advance,

Tote

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: APS not supporting FP1 devices

Depending on your needs, you can still try "VoIP Audio Service API (new)" in case of FP1.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Depending on your needs, you can still try "VoIP Audio Service API (new)" in case of FP1.
    Yeah, true. Nevertheless, it still doesn't explain why something doesn't work that ought to work. Our software is based on APS and didn't expect such a malfunction before shipment.

Thanks anyway,

Tote

Nokia Developer Moderator

I agree, replacing the APS is a workaround, and not a fix.

On the other hand "Notice #2" clearly states that there are no compatibility guarantees for the API Plug-in packs
    Quote Originally Posted by page
    You must test your application with each device that the application can be installed on. This is needed to ensure the best possible user experience. To prevent application installation on other than tested devices, define the Product ID(s) (also known as Machine UID) in the .pkg file.
    In terms of compatibility it sounds more like a "may" than a "must" to me.

Regular Contributor

Angry Re: APS not supporting FP1 devices

You're right, Wizard! Not because what you wrote, but because what is written in Notice #1:

"1. Nokia is not giving any binary compatibility promise for this API; neither between platform versions or within a platform version."

Thanks for pointing out this section. I'm sad now.

Tote

It's true that there are no BC guarantees and that using the SDK plug-in APIs is risky, but that's not really a very good excuse in the case of the APS, which was introduced to work around a problem with the platform.

I don't really understand this whole VoIP area in terms of what Nokia are doing though. It's been discussed recently that they are removing the VoIP/SIP stuff from NSeries phones but with the advent of IMS it will be an essential part of the telephony and other internet services. I never really understood why so many people were trying to implement their own SIP stacks and VoIP solutions when it's clearly a future piece of core phone functionality (according to the standards) and so no need for Nokia to be worried about being deemed anti-competitive for including it in the platform...

Anyhow, that's a bit off topic, sorry. Have you checked the firmware version on your N82? I wonder if it might have worked on some earlier firmware releases?? I think some of the later FP1 builds have quite a lot of the FP2 functionality.

Sorcery
    Last edited by Sorcery-ltd; 2008-09-08 at 14:34. Reason: EDIT - not official Nokia announcement - removing VoIP from N-Series

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery-ltd View Post
    Have you checked the firmware version on your N82? I wonder if it might have worked on some earlier firmware releases?? I think some of the later FP1 builds have quite a lot of the FP2 functionality.
    No, I haven't checked it yet. To be honest, I'm a bit afraid of this OTA firmware update thing, 'cause I've heard so many scary stories on what went wrong during an update that I never took the courage to do it. But even if I was brave enough, can I download older firmwares, too, or it's only the latest version that is always available?

In any case, if I declare that this software works on FP1 phones then it must work on all, no?

Tote

Yes, I'm not say it's a solution - possibly something worse. Is the alternative API there in early firmware? How do you identify which phones need which version?

I think you might need to code the application so that it can use either API depending on which is supported - which is a real mess.

Mark

Regular Contributor

I think you might need to code the application so that it can use either API depending on which is supported - which is a real mess.
    Yes, it can be a mess. We, however, came up with an interface between communicating parts of the library that abstracts away what is under the ground. One of the interface implementations integrates APS and it works well on some devices. We just didn't take it into account that we would need to integrate another audio service for other devices so soon.

What really is a mess, though, is to select which service works on which device and maintain .pkg files accordingly.

Tote

Ummm,

Stupid question: Have you installed the correct version of APS? Double-check that the apsserver2.sisx is from the FP1 plugin package, not from the MR package. It's an easy mistake to make, as the .sisx files have identical names and APS-MR can be installed on FP1 and FP2 devices where RAPSSession::Connect() fails with KErrNotSupported error.

At least FP1 version APS (2.43) seems to work on N78 for me.

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: APS not supporting FP1 devices

Quote Originally Posted by nullvoid View Post
    Ummm,

Stupid question: Have you installed the correct version of APS? Double-check that the apsserver2.sisx is from the FP1 plugin package, not from the MR package. It's an easy mistake to make, as the .sisx files have identical names and APS-MR can be installed on FP1 and FP2 devices where RAPSSession::Connect() fails with KErrNotSupported error.

At least FP1 version APS (2.43) seems to work on N78 for me.
    You're right, the problem has gone! What confused me is that APS plug-in (the sis file) had the same version number (v2.43) in both MR and FP1 extension packs. In addition, both files had the same size! That made me think that it doesn't matter which installation file I take - and I just took the wrong one.

Thanks for the help!

Tote

Hi,
    I'm also using aps for s60 3rd ed fp1. but it gives error when using RAPSSession from apsserver2.lib. I think, I copied all the files in the correct folders but cannot compile the example given with aps extension plugin. I compiled it with gcc compile but cannot run it on emulator. I searched wiki but cannot find any useful solution to this problem. I need to make a call conference over ip. So please help if it cannot compile what alternatives could be used?

It's true that there are no BC guarantees and that using the SDK plug-in APIs is risky, but that's not really a very good excuse in the case of the APS, which was introduced to work around a problem with the platform.

I don't really understand this whole VoIP area in terms of what Nokia are doing though. It's been discussed recently that they are removing the VoIP/SIP stuff from NSeries phones but with the advent of IMS it will be an essential part of the telephony and other internet services. I never really understood why so many people were trying to implement their own SIP stacks and VoIP solutions when it's clearly a future piece of core phone functionality (according to the standards) and so no need for Nokia to be worried about being deemed anti-competitive for including it in the platform...

Anyhow, that's a bit off topic, sorry. Have you checked the firmware version on your N82? I wonder if it might have worked on some earlier firmware releases?? I think some of the later FP1 builds have quite a lot of the FP2 functionality.

Sorcery
    Well I do understand why people implement their own sip stack, one big reason to have it platform independent. SIP is not designed only for VoIP on mobile phones and one of the major advantages using it is that it can be used between computors, mobile phones and set top boxes etc... if you aim to exist on several platform and various different devices, you probably want to have your're own stacks.