Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Delete Localized folder

Hi FNE,
    I am sending my App into my own created folder(by group_name),and i know it should be remove during uninstalling,otherwise signing will be fail.and it is not going after uninstall the app, i think this is an issue with 3rd edition ,so i have to handle it during uninstalling but how could i get this folder for deleting.
    Regards
    $-Nitesh-$

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Delete Localized folder

If you are talking about group folder uin the menu, then you can not delete the folder, since it is not controlled by you. I'm rather sure it should also be ok with signing.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    If you are talking about group folder uin the menu, then you can not delete the folder, since it is not controlled by you. I'm rather sure it should also be ok with signing.
    thanx,last night i have tested your Y-Browser and its also leav the folder and its ok .
    But here ,i am bit more carzy about to know the reason behind this things.
    according to signing (UNI - 08)"The application should uninstall itself cleanly."
    so here, how could be my app pass?.
    Regards
    $-Nitesh-$

I have signed several application making folders earlier, and so far have not hear complaints about them, so I ques it should be ok..

Super Contributor

humm,ok now i am going to sign this.but here i want to know the properties of that group folder,is it a Dir folder, if it is, then what is the path for this folder.or it is a different machanism,then what..
    Regards
    $-Nitesh-$

All you do in your application is to say: when installed my application should go in the application group X.

It is a system application that handles your request and creates a folder to represent that group, if it does not exist already. Therefore, it is that system application that should delete the folder when no longer needed. If that does not happen it is not your fault. However, as a best practice you should restrict yourself to installing the applications into phone's predefined groups (Games, Music, Media, Tools ... ) and do not create a new group for each and every application.

To be noted that the folder is not in fact a directory, it is just a logical representation of a application group in the Menu application, so this doesn't fall under the UNI-08 test criteria which deals with cleaning up the file system upon uninstall.

Also, one of the problems with custom applications groups is that they are not really localized, therefore your post's title is a bit off track :)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

thnaks to give this valuable info,now my doubts is clear.
    thanks again.

one of the problems with custom applications groups is that they are not really localized, therefore your post's title is a bit off track :)
    sorry for that
    Last edited by Nitesh Bhardwaj; 2008-09-12 at 07:38. Reason: some editing
    Regards
    $-Nitesh-$