Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to receive a SMS on port 0 using a MIDlet before letting the inbox.

Hi..experts

I want to receive SMS using J2me MIDlet. But the SMS is going directly to INBOX. I am using Push Registry and listening to Port 0 but still MIDlet is not able to receive the SMS and it goes to INBOX.
    I have to listen to port 0 only as sender side sends only on port 0 and that can't be changed.
    So tell me a way to receive SMS using my MIDlet before it goes in to INBOX , or any way that an J2me application can read SMS from INBOX?

Thanks!!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to receive a SMS on port 0 using a MIDlet before letting the inbox.

Hi ravidiwakar.25,

there's no way to intercept SMSs directed to Inbox with Java ME, and there's no way to read Inbox too. You would probably have more luck using Symbian C++..

Pit

Regular Contributor

hello,

You can't read Inbox in J2ME, but you can send the SMS to the application without sending it to the Inbox of mobile phone. For this you need to send SMS to the specific port. If you send SMS to port 5000 then the application also should keep looking SMS in that port.

In order to do that you have to run your application in the background all the time so that it will keep reading the SMS.

Here is an example how to do it have a look at it:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...aging_Articles
    http://developers.sun.com/mobility/midp/articles/wma/

Hope this will help you.

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: How to receive a SMS on port 0 using a MIDlet before letting the inbox.

Hey,
    I hope you have find the answer for the underlined post..

it is not possible to receive a SMS on port 0 using a MIDlet before it get delivered into the native inbox of the device using the java me. You can go for the Symbian C++ to get this done.
    Last edited by raj_J2ME; 2012-06-26 at 11:58. Reason: spell
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

hi raj_J2ME,
    I tried to do as you say, I set my port value 0, but the message only go directly to my Inbox, my MIDlet can't capture it, I don't realy understand "keep on checking for the sms", how can I read it before it go to Inbox, help me or some code, thanks so much!

Regular Contributor

It is not gonna work.

Regular Contributor

Just Try To change Ur port value....Example use 50000
    Anshu Chauhan
    J2me Developer

Regular Contributor

Tell us completely R u using Dynamic Registry or static Registry and How You are installing application .i mean via jad file or jar file ....

Please Write Ur Code where u started receiving Sms
    Anshu Chauhan
    J2me Developer

Nokia Developer Expert

To sum up:

If you want to receive the SMS in your application.

1. You need an SMS server application running or registered via PushRegistry listening in some specific port.

2. The SMS has to be sent by another app since it is the only way to add a port number to the SMS.

If you want to send a normal SMS (without any port) and read it with your J2ME application, that's just not possible
    :Ruben

ok, it's right

ok, what rdrincon wrote is right, but if I set my port value 0 , like sms://number:0, my midlet can't capture the message, is it right?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by levitu View Post
    ok, what rdrincon wrote is right, but if I set my port value 0 , like sms://number:0, my midlet can't capture the message, is it right?
    Exactly, port 0 messages go directly to your inbox and can't be captured in j2me.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thumbs up Re: How to receive a SMS on port 0 using a MIDlet before letting the inbox.

Hi,
    Please make sure that the application from which u send the sms using the same port where u want to recive the sms. means use the same port at both the application. Also make sure that the prot which will u use is not using by others. port 0 is mainly reserved by the native inbox. try some other port number like 55000 or other..

thanks,
    jitu_goldie..
    thanks,
    jitu_goldie..

KEEP TRYING..

ok, that is very clear that the message can't go to the J2ME and Inbox with only one messsage sent.
    - if I set the same port to my MIDlet both in sending and receiving message, only my midlet can capture the message, Inbox doesn't. But if port 0, the Inbox has and the midlet doesn't.
    - if I don't set port or set different ports to sending and receiving message, my MIDlet can't capture the message, only Inbox can.

Does everybody know Tankzor game, when I submit a button to buy gold, a message will go to my Inbox and at the same time, their midlet receive a alert that I've bought successfully, how did they do, the first I think that they sent 2 messages, one with port for the midlet and one no port for the Inbox, but last I can sure that only one message sent because I can control my gateway. So can their midlet "read" the content in my Inbox or it also receive the message to filter the content and have follow action.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by levitu View Post
    Does everybody know Tankzor game, when I submit a button to buy gold, a message will go to my Inbox and at the same time, their midlet receive a alert that I've bought successfully, how did they do, the first I think that they sent 2 messages, one with port for the midlet and one no port for the Inbox, but last I can sure that only one message sent because I can control my gateway. So can their midlet "read" the content in my Inbox or it also receive the message to filter the content and have follow action.
    Are you sure it is a java midlet?
    Alternatively they may use http connection to notify your midlet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast