Discussion Board

6220 Classic D-Pad centre select button not generating keycode in J2ME

I've written a J2ME prog that uses the standard J2ME Canvas method keyPressed(int keycode), and getGameAction(keyCode) to find out what key was pressed. So, pressing the 6220 Classic's centre D-Pad select button should generate some sort of keycode, and that keycode should be mapped to "FIRE" as a game action in J2ME. But it's not. The 5 key is mapped to FIRE as you would expect, but the D-Pad select button does nothing at all. This is clearly a bug, I can't believe it's deliberate. All the other keys and the directions on the D-Pad work as expected.

My prog is written to be MIDP 1.0 compatible, but that shouldn't affect it.

Anyone else seeing this? Presumably the only fix is a firmware upgrade? I'm running the standard UK 3.06 firmware.

Thanks,
    Alex

Re: 6220 Classic D-Pad centre select button not generating keycode in J2ME

The same it's happening to me, anyone has an idea of how to get the select button working for applications?

Greetings

Regular Contributor

Hi alexkerr,
    is the application calls the commandAction() method when the 5 key is pressed.
    Senthil

Super Contributor

Behaviour is by design.

Dpad centre should give a key code if:

* you setFullScreenMode(true) and
    * you do not call addCommand() or setCommandListener()

You may also be able to revert to keyPressed() events for the dpad centre using the JAD attribute:

Code:
    Nokia-MIDlet-S60-Selection-Key-Compatibility: true
    Cheers,
    Graham.

I know this is an old thread but as it seems to apply to the issue I'm having and as it was what I found when searching for a resolution I thought I would tack onto it.

The "Nokia-MIDlet-S60-Selection-Key-Compatibility: true" option in the Manifest although I have tested it working on a S60v5 device it doesn't seem to work on the S60v3 FP2 emulator, I'm still waiting to see if it works on a real FP2 device as I don't physically have one here.

Basically my issue is I have a j2me app which requires an event to be fired when the user presses the select key, now this all worked fine up until this FP2 change and yes supposedly I can use the flag above, but the emulator isn't bearing out that this is viable, so I tried creating a proper command for the middle soft key as it has now become, but the trouble is no matter what I try and do it also adds itself to the left hand softkey too, thereby creating an options menu which isn't a desired effect, as before FP2 I had 2 softkeys which would fire single events.

Note: a fullscreen canvas isn't really an option as it would involve more development time re-inventing a perfectly good wheel.

Regards Sean.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello Sean,

and welcome to Forum Nokia Discussion Boards!

The "Nokia-MIDlet-S60-Selection-Key-Compatibility: true" option in the Manifest although I have tested it working on a S60v5 device it doesn't seem to work on the S60v3 FP2 emulator, I'm still waiting to see if it works on a real FP2 device as I don't physically have one here.
    Confirmed, S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 SDK emulator does not support this specific JAD attribute.

If you want to test this on a real S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 device (including Nokia 6220 classic which this thread is originally about), you might want to try Forum Nokia's Remote Device Access:

Home > Technology Topics > Application Quality > Testing > Remote Device Access > Remote Device Access Services

Remote Device Access (RDA) is a service that allows developers to test their mobile applications and services remotely on various Nokia devices based on Symbian and Maemo OS. The main features of the service are remote controlling a device, installing and running applications, transferring files, and analyzing log files in real-time. RDA is an Internet-based solution and the basic requirements for using the service are a Forum Nokia user account, a standard Web browser, and Java Web Start (comes typically with JRE; version 5.0 or newer is required). Usage is free of charge for all Forum Nokia members.

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]