Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Search engine ERROR once again

Hi,

I was not using the forum.nokia for few months as I was focused more on UIQ3. I'm back now to search it, but the search engine is working still badly as before couple of months. It is totally frustrating to still seeing as a search result the thread "retrieve GSM cell id" or some Chinese posts, without hitting relevant threads. It was discussed here many times before for example here:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?p=386323

Might be, that there is already some trick or solution for that, but HOW THE HELL I can find it, when the search engine is not working. Check SE and UIQ discussion boards - they are working perfectly.

I even have tried "Advanced search" (which appears "intuitively" when the search window is left blank and the "Search" button was pressed), but even if I specified the forum and I have typed the thread caption (which I found by Google) the result was not shown) It's more lottery then a search engine...

Any comments welcomed.

Regards,
    STeN

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Search engine ERROR once again

try advanced search, and use AND in the middle of the search words, should work a lot better.

Super Contributor

Hi,

thanks for reply - that's what I have already found and tried - with debatable results. Seems that you are aware of this problem as you are Nokia Expert, so question - are there any plans to improve the search engine? I think it might eliminate many cases, when people are asking questions, which were already replied. It should not be a 10 minutes quest to find the answer on the forum

Regards,
    STeN

Hi,

Yes this is a very basic thing that needs fixing. The advanced search is better (even if you don't change any of the options and type exactly the same word(s) in as for the basic search). However, I nearly always get Chinese results at the top - can I filter those out? Also it seems to miss threads that should be relevant. Just using Google almost always gives better results so I tend to ignore the search here and use that instead but I bet lots of people use it and assume that what they're looking for isn't here - then ask the same question that's been asked 20 times already.

Please, please, please devote some resources to sorting it out!

Sorcery

Nokia Developer Moderator

I would second Sorcery's and STeN's views (Actually second is an understatement..I bet most of us have the same views).

Like Sorcery mentioned, google gives better results to find threads in this discussion board than the DiBo's own search. Although the situation has been same since long, not much (Atleast it appears considering the success) has been done.

I would like to add to the voice of others to view this feature more seriously than it seems to have been in the past.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Hi Sorcery-ltd and Symbian_Neil,

Thanks for the feedback!

There is work currently underway to change the search behavior. We have already started to use Google applicance to return the FN.com searches
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/search/
    That part of the project took a while, I agree.

The next step is to make community search boxes to use that. Still the advanced searches (at least in DiBo) will be service specific, as those will allow you to do more complex searches (defining user names, boards to be searched from, etc)

Hartti