Discussion Board

Question Is there any limit for resource file size?

Is there any limit for the resource file size?
    SDK is S60 3rd Edition FP1.

It seems that if the RSC file size exceeds about 64KB, the custom program icon for the program is changed to the generic one on the emulator's program menu, and the program refuses to run.

Super Contributor

Re: Is there any limit for resource file size?

Quote Originally Posted by zeodtr View Post
    Is there any limit for the resource file size?
    SDK is S60 3rd Edition FP1.

It seems that if the RSC file size exceeds about 64KB, the custom program icon for the program is changed to the generic one on the emulator's program menu, and the program refuses to run.
    AFAIK there is no limit .

Hi,

Even I think there should be no limit.
    Regards,
    Sriky

Nokia Developer Moderator

Resources are mapped with 2-bytes file offsets (» Symbian OS v9.1 » Symbian OS Tools And Utilities » Application resource tools reference » Resource file compiled format). So yes, 64k is the limit.

wow... I was not aware that we have such a limit for the size with rsc file. Good point to remember for future while using the resource file.
    Thanks wizard_hu :)
    Maximus
    S60 Developer
    Impossible is nothing

Hi,

Even I was not aware thanks wizard_hu
    Regards,
    Sriky

Thank you very much, wizard_hu_.

Only if they (the help contents) mentioned the size limit more clearly... Actually the help contents for Symbian development are somewhat ackward, especially on hyperlinking and indexing. It is painful to search for what I want to know.

Now I must convert all my PNG files (for the platform-neutral user interface graphics) to C++ array notation and cram it to a C++ source file... (I was already doing similar one to insert PNG files to the resource file. But now resource file has size limit...)

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Resources are mapped with 2-bytes file offsets (» Symbian OS v9.1 » Symbian OS Tools And Utilities » Application resource tools reference » Resource file compiled format). So yes, 64k is the limit.

Regular Contributor

You can have several resource files per app. The resource name (four letters) in each rss file needs to be different in this case. No idea on how to use these though...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by zeodtr View Post
    Only if they (the help contents) mentioned the size limit more clearly... Actually the help contents for Symbian development are somewhat ackward, especially on hyperlinking and indexing. It is painful to search for what I want to know.
    Personally I am still more satisfied with the Symbian-part of the SDK Help (in fact I simply searched for 64, and found an unrelated hit, however it happened to be inside of the compiled resource format specs - the presence of which I was not aware of before). This 'success' could not have happened in the S60-part of the help, since that is really hard to navigate sometimes when you want to go "upwards" (some parts of the S60-specific docs do not appear in the contents, so even the "Locate" button can not help). And DoxyGen formatting is just ugly.
    Now I must convert all my PNG files (for the platform-neutral user interface graphics) to C++ array notation and cram it to a C++ source file... (I was already doing similar one to insert PNG files to the resource file. But now resource file has size limit...)
    I disagree with your approach, platform-independence does not justify mis-using platform concepts. Consider creating a common file-provider interface/wrapper, and storing your graphics files in platform-aware locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by anttijuu View Post
    The resource name (four letters) in each rss file needs to be different in this case. No idea on how to use these though...
    Those four letters are combined into a number called "offset", the start "address" of the resource file in an imaginary address space. As long as offsets do not clash, arbitrary number of resource files can be loaded (either automatically by the framework, or via explicit CCoeEnv::AddResourceFileL calls), and they are going to be available to everybody in the same CONE context (practically your application). Of course the offset also appears in your resource identifiers in the .rsg file.

Thank you for your reply.

- SDK Help: I was comparing it with MS Windows Visual Studio and Linux Qt Help system. For me, Qt Help is the best. It has always relevant hyperlinks which minimizes the navigating and learning cost. Visual Studio is not so bad, though.

- Platform independence: I could invent my own resource file format that supports size beyond 64KB (in fact, it is not so hard, isn't it?). But currently I'm running out of my time, and my code is (at least for now) for the functional demo. And I'm not familiar to adding files to the project. For now I will use the simple and clear method to me(and it's already done). BTW, I'm sharing the code with another systems: Windows Mobile, Qt, WIPI(a Korean mobile platform). Of course there is a common API layer what I'm porting for now with an easy way...

- Multiple resource file: It looks awkward and old-fashioned... to me. Maybe Symbian fix it later to break the old 64KB wall. :)

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Personally I am still more satisfied with the Symbian-part of the SDK Help (in fact I simply searched for 64, and found an unrelated hit, however it happened to be inside of the compiled resource format specs - the presence of which I was not aware of before). This 'success' could not have happened in the S60-part of the help, since that is really hard to navigate sometimes when you want to go "upwards" (some parts of the S60-specific docs do not appear in the contents, so even the "Locate" button can not help). And DoxyGen formatting is just ugly.I disagree with your approach, platform-independence does not justify mis-using platform concepts. Consider creating a common file-provider interface/wrapper, and storing your graphics files in platform-aware locations.Those four letters are combined into a number called "offset", the start "address" of the resource file in an imaginary address space. As long as offsets do not clash, arbitrary number of resource files can be loaded (either automatically by the framework, or via explicit CCoeEnv::AddResourceFileL calls), and they are going to be available to everybody in the same CONE context (practically your application). Of course the offset also appears in your resource identifiers in the .rsg file.