Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Problem with Thread

Hi,
    I have an app which saves data on the rms on a particular time basis. This is handled by a Timer/TimerTask combo and is scheduled to execute every 5 secs...
    The idea is to save some data in case the feared "red button" is accidentally pushed.
    It al seems to work but now I encountered a problem, if the "red button" is pressed (in the emulator) the midlet is shut down but the wtk emulator still keeps running (just like a real phone, and my testbed a Nokia N95) I noticed the thread keeps running (and thus keeps writing to the RMS). I know this because I let it write some text to the output stream.
    I am wondering how this is possible ? And how do I stop it ?
    The second problem is that this thread also updates a variable in my main Midlet.
    Obviously my main midlet object is destroyed once the red button is pressed. Then I restart my midlet, and the rms-saving Timer object still has the old reference to the old midlet, also the midlet creates a new rms-saving Timer thread because it doesnt recognize the already existing (out of his midletsuite) thread, this isnt a object created by the midlet at that moment in time so why should it recognize it ?

Does this sound familiar to anyone or does anyone have some tips ? I tried it on a real device also but having no output stream I actuallly dont know how it behave,s I do know that after restarting the midlet the variable in the midlet will NOT be updated anymore...

Re: Problem with Thread

Hi,
    As of my knowledge if you press the red button In S60 Devise the Midlet Will not close it will go to back ground and it will be running.

Hope it will helps you

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Tiger!

I have not an answer to your problem, but a possible workaround: what about using the MIDlet destroyApp() method to manually stop your Timer?

Pit

Super Contributor

hey thx for the fast replies,
    I was just trying with the destroyApp() method :P

gonna debug in a jiffy

and the red button doesnt bring it in the background but actually really closes down the app...

Nokia Developer Expert

Red button WILL close the MIDlet, not push it to the background. This behavior is not customizable. When it does its thing, destroyApp() will be called, and that's the place for stopping the thread which is writing to RMS.

Daniel

Super Contributor

well,
    it seems it was mostly an emulator problem... the wtk emulator doesnt actually close off all threads of a midlet when te red button is pushed...