Discussion Board

I can't make heads or tails of this one

I really hope that the problem that I am facing is caused by my lack of experience on the Symbian platform (Windows Mobile developer) and with Carbide.c++ itself. I can't accept that this Symbian and Carbide.c++ are so poorly designed!

I am working on a simple application that at the moment uses the web client to get the content of a web page. Everything works great in the emulator.

Now on the actual device (N73). The application installs ok (with warning message) and when I press the menu item to do IssueHTTPGetL() it says "unable to execute file for security reasons". Ok... it must be a selfsign and capability issue. In my MMP file I add NetworkServices. I run the capability scanner and it says:

"Platform Security Scan Results

* These capabilities were detected in your source code:
    DEPENDENT**

* These capabilities are defined in your project settings:
    NetworkServices

* You may need to add these capabilites to your project settings:
    DEPENDENT

** DEPENDENT capabilities indicates that particular APIs can have different capabilities depending on runtime context. It is not a defined capability." My God... did you ever heard of something more vague then the last sentence?

Anyway... from the project properties if I add a password in the sis file creation window for the self signed radio button, after pressing build the error message is: "signsis.exe returned with exit value = 1". If I don't enter anything in the password field then the .sisx file is created. The application won't connect to the http server from the phone. www.whythefuckwontmysisfileinstall.com says that there are no capabilities... Ok... I tried manually signing the application with the same result both on the phone and on the above mentioned site.

My guess is that it has something to do with the UID? This is pasted from the mmp file: UID 0x100039CE 0xE94E7E10.

Any clues?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: I can't make heads or tails of this one

Since your code runs in the emulator, you can check if its logfile (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Epocwind.out) contains warnings about missing capabilities. Though I agree, NetworkServices should be enough, you should check the .exe itself (petran -dump s your.exe), if the capability is really missing that can be a problem (either try building from the command line and/or removing and re-importing the project into Carbide).
    SDK can be a problem too, make sure that you are using S60 3rd edition Maintenance Release for the N73.
    And your UID is just fine, do not tamper with it.

The emulator log says that NetworkServices whould have failed. It seems that I can't get the capabilities to stick. I tried deleting and importing the project with no result. However I am using the first 3rd edition SDK. I am downloading now the maintenence version and I will post back with the results.

Exactly the same results with the maintenence release SDK. Is there another way of manually adding capabilities to the sis file?

Since you have re-created everything with the new SDK, there must be something with the .mmp file. Make sure that the .mmp has exactly one CAPABILITY line (so no extra "CAPABILITY NONE" appears).

It has only one CAPABILITY line. I even moved it around the mmp file (originally it was the last line).

Super Contributor

Which version of carbide are you using?
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Just purchased Carbide.c++ Developer edition 3 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by fightersoft View Post
    Exactly the same results with the maintenence release SDK. Is there another way of manually adding capabilities to the sis file?
    The sis file is not the problem, the exe you're building holds the capability information and for one reason or another your exe doesn't get that right.

My advice:
    - delete the project from Carbide (careful not to delete the source files too) and then close Carbide and the SDK emulator if running.
    - go to the SDK's installation folder and under \epoc32\build you will find a path similar to the one where your project's source is store (e.g. for a project stored under <drive>:\Work\S60InternetRadio the SDK build files would be under %EPOCROOT%Epoc32\BUILD\Work\S60InternetRadio\). Delete that directory with all its content.
    - assuming that your project has a nice unique name you can try to delete all the related files from the SDK running a command like del <project_name_root>*.* under %EPOCROOT%Epoc32\ (be careful not to delete system libraries though)
    - now, your SDK is clean and you can import the project again in Carbide.c++, edit the MMP file so that it has the needed capabilities. If you edit it in text mode make sure you don't have typos.
    - build the project, run it in the emulator and search again for platsec issues in epocwind.out
    - fix whatever new issue discovered then build for device
    - run petran/elftran on your binaries (exe, dlls) and analyse their headers and security information.
    - if all ok install the SIS file on the phone
    - if not, you can use elftran to set the needed capabilities to your binaries but that would not be of course a permanent solution and you should be looking further for the root cause and its fix.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

By the way: if your .pkg file contains complete paths (no %(EPOCROOT)-like shortcuts), you should modify them to refer the new (MR) SDK.

I solved the problem by deleting the workspace and deleting the build folder from epoc32. More like curing the disease by killing the patience, huh?

Thank you very much for your quick replies.

It seems that I ran into this problem again when I needed to add a few more capabilities to the project. Deleting the build folder from epoc32 fixes the problem.

Hi,
    Did u try abld cleanall and abld reallyclean from command line?? Adding capabilities and then building cleaned project from command line should also work fine.
    Maximus
    S60 Developer
    Impossible is nothing

Project menu of Carbide also contains a "Clean..." command, have not you tried that?

Thanks for the suggetions. I will try them next time I run into this problem and post back with the results.