Discussion Board

How to display Arabic MMS in Mobiles with no Arabic fonts?

hi, i am developing to display arabic MMS in mobiles with no arabic fonts, initially i made gif files for every arabic character, then encapsulated them MMS file, but after i sent the MMS file to Mobile, those gif files cann't display in one screep.
    and i know this becouse that in one slide of SMIL file can accommodate only one gif file. now im very boring .......
    can anyone give me some advice about how to display arabic words in mobiles with no Arabic fonts?
    thanks advanced!

Re: How to display Arabic MMS in Mobiles with no Arabic fonts?

Hi,

It is possible to display the arabic fonts on the non arabic devices for that all you need to do is to have an unicode of the character as the string and remember that all the fonts donot support the arabic unicode, you need to try with the available fonts. My success is with the TitleSemiBold always.

You could follow the similar pattern in your application
    TBuf<500> printBuffer( _L("\x062B\x062A\x0628\x062A wipro \x0628\x062A") );

And you could you AknBidiUtils to reverse the text as the arabic text is written from right to left.
    Regards,
    Sriky

Super Contributor

If the device receiving the MMS does not have Arabic font files installed, then using Unicode encoding in the MMS makes no difference (because the target device does not have the corresponding glyphs/characters to show, and will only show an empty box/square symbol, instead).

And if the device has non-system (default) font files with Arabic, then the default Messaging application most likely won't be able to use them, and you'd have to write your own application (and of course, the message recipient would have to have that application installed).

So, the entire text needs to be converted to one single image/picture, if you wish to "guarantee" that the recipient can view the entire message via MMS, without the recipient having a phone capable of Arabic support.

Hi matay,

What petrib saying is correct, I thought you were writing your own application which wants to detect the text. I was a bit misled.
    Regards,
    Sriky

Hi,
    has anyone used Dot Matrix Fonts to make arabic mms? now i have 16*16 dot matrix font and i can display arabic words in application(draw them in java console window). but i don't know how to encapsulate it in MMS file to display them in mobile phone' screen! can anyone give some advice or give mterial about this?
    thanks a lot!

Super Contributor