Discussion Board

GIF rendering on 3650

When I create an optimized GIF that contains only a few colors (8 rather 255), the handset will dither the colors rather than rendering them precisely. It does not matter whether i use "web safe" color palette or not.

Is this the expected behavior? How can GIF color be specified exactly (optimize), while keeping file sizes small?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

RE: GIF rendering on 3650

This is not necessarily the behavior.
    It can be possible to optimize an image to a 3-bit color system (for 8 colors) and avoid dithering. It all depends on how you optimized the image.

It is always safe if you use the "browser-safe web palette". It is an 8-bit color system (256 colors), but it is a widely used standard.
    The Nokia 3650 has a 12-bit color system... for 4096 colors. But, the Nokia 3650 complies with the "browser-safe web palette" standard, so the image colors will map to the Nokia 3650 browser palette colors.

If you really want to keep the file sizes that small, try-out different optimizing methods. There are many tools that you can use to optimize (even down to 8 colors) while still some-what coordinating with "browser-safe" colors.

Good luck and have fun!
    ~quyen

Regular Contributor

RE: GIF rendering on 3650

We cannot post our e-mails in this forum. That would be another level of support (Technical Case Solving). You can get more information on Technical Case Solving at:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,35452,23,00.html

However, if you could post your image on a simple XHTML page or an FTP site, I would be willing to download it and check-it-out for you.

~quyen