Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Signed PythonShell getting KErrPermissionDenied for positioning.modules()

I have a Python Shell signed with:
    Code:
    LocalServices+Location+NetworkServices+PowerMgmt+ProtServ+
    ReadDeviceData+ReadUserData+SurroundingsDD+SwEvent+TrustedUI+
    UserEnvironment+WriteDeviceData+WriteUserData
    However it still gets the KErrPermissionDenied error when trying to access any of the positioning api.

using location.gsm_location() doesn't generate KErrPermissionDenied but it does return None.

Any suggestions?

Thanks - Lindsay

Re: Signed PythonShell getting KErrPermissionDenied for positioning.modules()

hi
    are you using it on shell or in a script?
    Also mention your device.
    Regards
    - Chintan Umraliya

Regular Contributor

Direct from the shell

Quote Originally Posted by blackpaw View Post
    Direct from the shell
    hi again
    you didn't mention device.
    I guess you are using in built gps. Have you fixed your gps first?
    - Chintan Umraliya

Hi Blackpaw,

location.gsm_location() returns "None" if your phone is offline or if you run it in emulator enviroment.

Which command gives you a KErrPermissionDenied?

Tom
    Last edited by TomStern; 2008-09-25 at 12:18.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by blackpaw View Post
    I have a Python Shell signed with:
    Code:
    LocalServices+Location+NetworkServices+PowerMgmt+ProtServ+
    ReadDeviceData+ReadUserData+SurroundingsDD+SwEvent+TrustedUI+
    UserEnvironment+WriteDeviceData+WriteUserData
    However it still gets the KErrPermissionDenied error when trying to access any of the positioning api.

using location.gsm_location() doesn't generate KErrPermissionDenied but it does return None.

Any suggestions?

Thanks - Lindsay
    Let us know how you signed the shell ? Ensymble or Opensigned Online ?

If Ensymble, let us know the command line, you used ?
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Signing the shell itself is not enough - You need to change the capability of EXE files inside the SIS archive. Use ensymble too for this.
    Mikko Ohtamaa

http://mfabrik.com
    http://blog.mfabrik.com

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by miohtama View Post
    Signing the shell itself is not enough - You need to change the capability of EXE files inside the SIS archive. Use ensymble too for this.
    hi mikko
    just for clarification i in my N95 just signed the python shell with all capabilities and it is working fine i never used ensymble for the same purpose.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Its a N95, I signed the shell using ensymble and a developer key. I use the following batch file to sign it:
    Code:
    python ensymble.py signsis --cert=DevCertRequest.cer --privkey=softlog.key --passphrase=  --dllcaps=LocalServices+Location+NetworkServices+PowerMgmt+ProtServ+ReadDeviceData+ReadUserData+SurroundingsDD+SwEvent+TrustedUI+UserEnvironment+WriteDeviceData+WriteUserData %1 %1x
    Which command gives you a KErrPermissionDenied?
    Code:
    positioning.modules()

I guess you are using in built gps. Have you fixed your gps first?
    Its the built in GPS, I'm not sure what fixing it means, however it is working on the phone - gets a satellite and a position. However that's only outside, inside where I do my testing doesn't get a signal, however I presumed just listing the modules wouldn't be an issue and I don't see why no signal would generate a KErrPermissionDenied

Thanks - Lindsay

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi blackpaw
    Fixing means before using the positioning module have you initialized the GPS in your phone. First make the GPS on and then use the positioning module. then i feel it will work.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

Super Contributor

Lindsay, could you try this command when signing the Shell and see if it works?
    Code:
    python ensymble.py signsis --cert=DevCertRequest.cer --privkey=softlog.key --passphrase=  --execaps=LocalServices+Location+NetworkServices+PowerMgmt+ProtServ+ReadDeviceData+ReadUserData+SurroundingsDD+SwEvent+TrustedUI+UserEnvironment+WriteDeviceData+WriteUserData --dllcaps=LocalServices+Location+NetworkServices+PowerMgmt+ProtServ+ReadDeviceData+ReadUserData+SurroundingsDD+SwEvent+TrustedUI+UserEnvironment+WriteDeviceData+WriteUserData %1 %1x

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    Lindsay, could you try this command when signing the Shell and see if it works?
    Code:
    python ensymble.py signsis --cert=DevCertRequest.cer --privkey=softlog.key --passphrase=  --execaps=LocalServices+Location+NetworkServices+PowerMgmt+ProtServ+ReadDeviceData+ReadUserData+SurroundingsDD+SwEvent+TrustedUI+UserEnvironment+WriteDeviceData+WriteUserData --dllcaps=LocalServices+Location+NetworkServices+PowerMgmt+ProtServ+ReadDeviceData+ReadUserData+SurroundingsDD+SwEvent+TrustedUI+UserEnvironment+WriteDeviceData+WriteUserData %1 %1x
    Doh! That was it, thanks bogdan

Quote Originally Posted by miohtama View Post

miohtama or anyone:

What does that mean ? If I take file PythonScriptShell_1_4_5_3rdEd_unsigned_testrange.SIS and simply upload it for All-Capabilities to SymbianSigned online it will NOT work ???

What else is needed ? Do I need to self-sign it locally with ensymble before uploading to SymbianSigned ???

I'm confused and most probably lost...

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by carlosl View Post
    miohtama or anyone:
    What does that mean ?
    AFAIK miohtama means that signing the shell will it self not work and if you are making a sis of the script then you need to provide caps to that also separately. So that the binary inside the sis which is a EXE will get sufficient capabilities.

If I take file PythonScriptShell_1_4_5_3rdEd_unsigned_testrange.SIS and simply upload it for All-Capabilities to SymbianSigned online it will NOT work ???
    if you are running your application using the script inside the phone, i.e. using the Pythin Shell and interpreter then signing the shell at the symbian signed online is sufficient.

What else is needed ? Do I need to self-sign it locally with ensymble before uploading to SymbianSigned ???
    you dont need to self sign the python shell signing at symbian sign will provide all of the required capabilities. If you are making a sis using ensymble then you need to mention the capabilities in the ensymble itself and then sign it, after this it should work.

hope my replies were helpful.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

hope my replies were helpful.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

Of course, Gaba. Always helpful.

AFAIK miohtama means that signing the shell will it self not work and if you are making a sis of the script then you need to provide caps to that also separately. So that the binary inside the sis which is a EXE will get sufficient capabilities.
    Agree. Just let me summarize to check if I have all correct.

I undestand the Python interpreter comes with all capabilities supported, so that when you run an standalone applicaton signed with all-caps it will still run properly. Also when running from the shell, the shell must have the caps enabled (self-signing the unsigned_testrange version online or using the high_capas version) for the scripts to run properly. And that would be all.

As for making a SIS from my application and enabling the caps I undestand py2sis is all that's needed. I'm using:

Code:
    ensymble py2sis --uid=0xE1234567 --icon=vs1.svg --appname="VsPat" --caps=LocalServices+Location+NetworkServices+PowerMgmt+ProtServ+ReadUserData+SurroundingsDD+SWEvent+UserEnvironment+WriteUserData+ReadDeviceData+TrustedUI+WriteDeviceData --shortcaption="VsPat." --caption="Application Name" --version=1.2.3 --verbose c:\MyApp
    Then I upload it to symbiansigned online and install the resulting sis.

Hope that's correct since that's what I've been doing.