Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Queries on SIM Programming

Hi,

I want to do SIM programming. I heard about SIM Toolkit. I googled several times and i didnt find any site from where i can buy SIM toolkit. (I found Gemalto and some other sites. but these sites dont have SIM Toolkit as such. They have some developer suite.). Since i am a starter i didnt understand any of these terminologies.

Please explain me the capabilities of SIM Toolkit. Which language does i use in this Toolkit ?

I want to create a menu item in SIM for my application. Using this menu and submenus, i want to communicate with an application which is residing on the phone( in my case it is a J2ME midlet)and vice-versa.

Is there any other SDK other than STK?

Forgive me if i am posting in a wrong forum.

Thanks and Regards
    Sunil

Super Contributor

Re: Queries on SIM Programming

Hi,

The SIM toolkit is used by manufacturer , you need to be licence in order to use kit , this is not publically avalible.
    In case of Symbian, you need to be a symbian licence to use SIM tool kit of symbian.
    I donno about SIM toolkit used in j2me, its dependent on the manufacturer,afaik

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Hi,

The SIM Toolkit is code in the phone which an application running on the SIM can use to make certain things happen (e.g. make a call, send an SMS, launch the browser to a specified URL etc). There isn't any way that I'm aware of to communicate from the SIM direct to a custom J2ME application on the phone. You could do it indirectly via a server in the network but this would be expensive for the end user.

SIM applications are also written in Java but not J2ME.

You cannot legally program SIM cards unless you are a network operator or working with one (except for R&D purposes of course).

What is your use case? Perhaps there is another way to do it?

Sorcery

Super Contributor

If this is about a MIDlet being able to talk to STK, then there is also JSR-177 APDU (and JCRMI) package. This allows the MIDlet to send APDU commands to applets on SIM and even to STK. However
    - the phone needs to support SATSA API's APDU package (only available on Series 40 phones starting from 3rd Edition FP2)
    - the MIDlet needs to signed to operator domain in order to be able to connect to STK, and that requires close partnership with the operator (in many cases this is not possible)
    - also the Access Control List on the SIM needs to contain the APDU commands your MIDlet is allowed to send to the SIM card (so the SIM card has to be a special one)

In practice this means that you need to really re-evaluate what you are trying to do and how you are going to achieve it (like Sorcery-ltd already noted)

Hartti
    Last edited by hartti; 2008-09-26 at 23:05. Reason: typos

the phone needs to support SATSA API's APDU package (only available on Series 40 phones starting from 3rd Edition FP2)
    Thanks for the update Hartti - I guess you mean S60 there?

In practice is sounds like you still need control of the SIM card to do this, so a relationship with the network operator is still an absolute must.

Sorcery

Super Contributor

I really mean Series 40. S60 does not support APDU package.
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Nokia_devices

Hartti

Sorry! I didn't think it could have been around so long and I'd not noticed. Unusual for S40 to support things S60 doesn't too.

Mark

Super Contributor

:-)
    There are other small things as well here and there, supported by Series 40 and not with S60. Like accessing FM radio in Java ME. Supporting Flash Lite wallpapers (and FL screensavers were added on S60 only recently, but have been around in Series 40 for quite some time)
    But this is really off-topic :-)

Hartti

Hi all,

Many many thanks to all of you for your prompt replies. I had some misunderstandings about SIM Toolkit. Your replies helps me to clear those to some extend.

My scenario is like this.
    1. A J2ME application will be installed on end-user mobile.
    2. The issuer of this Midlet needs to install some secure things in phone's RMS.
    3. While installation request comes (as a secure SMS), the midlet communicates with the SIM to verify this installation is supported for this issuer.
    (ie, the permissions(may be ACL?) for this issuer have to be pre-built in to the user SIM).So i want to make sure that the secure content in RMS is installed by a specific issuer.

Note: I am using Nokia phones.

Also, is it possible for a SIM-provider to add some data to the SIM card after the SIM is delivered to an end-user mobile ?

Is it possible to alter the ACL content at runtime ?

Thanks and regards
    Sunil

Also, is it possible for a SIM-provider to add some data to the SIM card after the SIM is delivered to an end-user mobile ?
    Yes, depending on what you mean by "SIM-provider". It is possible for just about any elementary file on the SIM to be updated over the air after the phone has been shipped to the end user, including a new SIM application. This is under the control of the network operator though.

You can also send data downloads to the SIM application over the air - that allows all sorts of changes to content on the SIM.

Sorcery

Thanks Sorcery,

By "SIM provider", i mean network operator who issues SIM to end-users.

hartti says:
    This allows the MIDlet to send APDU commands to applets on SIM and even to STK.
    I am bit confused by reading this. Can a midlet send APDU to STK(SIM Toolkit) ? STK is a development environment used by network operators to development applications for SIM rt?

Also, the scenario depicted in my previous mail is doable?

Sunil

Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what Hartti means there either.

The SIM Tookit or SIM Application Toolkit, is often used to describe the software running in the phone which polls for SIM commands and responds to them, as well as the development tools for programming SIMs. I think the former is actually the correct usage.

I'm not familiar with the Java ME API but I guess that you can send APDUs to the SIM application (which may be using SIM Toolkit commands). I assume you can at least get a status word back from the command so I guess the scenario you are suggesting is perfectly possible. You should check the details carefully with both the Java API and the SIM card manufacturer before proceeding though.

Sorcery

Thanks Sorcery,

I will go thru Java API and will do a detailed study on devices implementing SATSA-JCRMI packages. I will check it with our card manufacturer also.

thanks and regards
    Sunil

Super Contributor

My comment above
    "This allows the MIDlet to send APDU commands to applets on SIM and even to STK."

This means that if the device you are running your MIDlet on supports APDU package of the SATSA API, then you can send APDU commands to the applets on SIM card, if
    - your MIDlet is signed to trusted 3rd party domain for any other applet on the SIM card except Sim Toolkit, or with operator certificate if you need to talk to STK
    AND
    - the access control list (which is on the SIM card itself) allows those commands to be sent from you MIDlet to the applet in question

In the case of STK, unless you are operator, this is extremely unlikely to happen, so you should forget accessing the STK.

Also JCRMI package will do no good for you. It is not available on any handset I know of, and as it is not included in the MSA spec, it is unlikely that this package will end up on many devices in the future either.

Hartti

Super Contributor

Talking to myself, but...
    please, read the JSR-177 API specification and especially the appendix A, which describes the security considerations of this API. I know it is a challenging read, so you need to read it a couple of times to really get hang of it.

Hartti