Discussion Board

Navigator 6210 rotate map?

I wonder how the 6210 rotates the map. Doest it rotate the map by itself after receiving, or it simply receive the rotated map from nokia map server?

I know PNG image can be converted to int[]RGB and rotated it by any degree in this way, but it costs a serious graphics distortion. That is the only way i know.

Another thing is, map moving or zooming is very slow when using google static map even if over WIFI. How can I fast scroll map like Nokia map and Google map mobile?

Thank you for any help!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Navigator 6210 rotate map?

Hi SYTDeath,

about your first question: I've not clearly understood to which application you refer when talking about maps rotation, but that is probably a software using vectorial maps, whose transormations (e.g.: rotation, zooming) are a lot easier and faster than with raster maps.

About speeding up operations when using Google Static maps, 2 possible hints:

1) use small tiles when drawing your map. Let's say you want a map of 240x320px: do not use a single Image, but rather compose it with smaller images. This way you could speed up scrolling, reusing some of the previously loaded tiles more than once.

2) preload adiacent tiles. If network traffic is not a tight constraint, you could preload tiles adiacent to the currently displayed map, so that, when user scrolls, you will already have some tiles to be shown.

Hope it helps,
    Pit

Nokia Developer Expert

Simple answer: Nokia Maps uses locally-stored maps in vectorial format, thus they are fast to load (for being local) and can be resized/rotated in any possible way (for being vectorial).

Google maps downloads small JPEGs from the site every time, that's why it's slower.

Daniel

Thank you guys, you give me a great help

I am runing into new problems. To get static google map, you have to provide a coordinates which is the center of the image that is received from google map server. If I use tiles as you said, say 240*320 pixels divides into 4 colums * 8 rows(each tile is 60*40), do you mean I need to request 32 smaller map images in which providing cooridnates respectively is needed. But if yes, you know that you have to round up/off to convert pixel to coordinates. Thus I think those smaller image can't integrate perfectly. HELP

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi SYTDeath,

you're right: you need to calculate coords of each tile to make them perfectly compose the whole map. On this page:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...oogle_Maps_API

you can find the adjust() function, ported from the original JavaScript one, that allows to calculate coordinates based on pixel deltas. Anyway, other users reported about a non-perfect precision of that function, so you could try to correct or re-implement it by your own.

Hope it helps,
    Pit

Thank you pit!, I am not using that adjust(), I wrote one by my own. Do you know how google map mobile calculates the tiles and coordinates, it seems that it did this issue well.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi SYTDeath,

unfortunately I currently have not docs about this. You could try looking for it or asking on Google Maps API group (and posting here if you find something )

Pit