Discussion Board

Unable to remove application. Some Apps. must be closed first. Close now?

I have an application that is running as a background process that always needs to be active. When you go to do an Uninstall I see an error message "Unable to remove application. Some Apps. must be closed first. Close now?"

I observe that the Uninstaller tries to kill everything the application is running to do the uninstall. Is there some way in my application engine I can detect when the uninstaller is running to allow it to properly shut down and avoid the user seeing this message?

I also have an program that runs on uninstall defined in the pkg file if this is relevant.

Any info on the system uninstall functionality would be helpful. This is for S60 3.0 Symbian 9.1 devices.

Re: Unable to remove application. Some Apps. must be closed first. Close now?

Hi,
    Your application is always running on the background and on uninstallation when the kill is called then your application will be closed properly. If you have handled everything properly in the destructor. I guess it will be difficult to get the event of uninstall and close your app before hand also isnt it a good feature that the use will know that some app is running before he/she opts for the uninstallation.
    Maximus
    S60 Developer
    Impossible is nothing

Nokia Developer Champion

You should create one independent executable which runs on uninstallation event. That executable will kill your running application.

Try with FR(FILERUN),RR(RUNREMOVE) and RW(RUNWAITEND) with that executable in your .pkg file. Search for relevant terms in the SDK help.

Note that in order to use FR(FILERUN) option, you have to sign your application with developer certificate. Signing with Self-signed certificate won't help.

Check minimal implementation about such executable in this link: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...00&postcount=4
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    You should create one independent executable which runs on uninstallation event. That executable will kill your running application.

Try with FR(FILERUN),RR(RUNREMOVE) and RW(RUNWAITEND) with that executable in your .pkg file. Search for relevant terms in the SDK help.

Note that in order to use FR(FILERUN) option, you have to sign your application with developer certificate. Signing with Self-signed certificate won't help.

Check minimal implementation about such executable in this link: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...00&postcount=4
    Thanks for your response I already have an exe I run on Uninstall using FR, RR, RW I added code to kill my background server. This did not resolve the problem it looks like the system is looking and is seeing something running and prompts the user if it is okay to shut it down. Once they select Yes the Uninstaller.exe runs and everything is fine. I just need to figure out how to get rid of that prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by yogpan View Post
    Hi,
    Your application is always running on the background and on uninstallation when the kill is called then your application will be closed properly. If you have handled everything properly in the destructor. I guess it will be difficult to get the event of uninstall and close your app before hand also isnt it a good feature that the use will know that some app is running before he/she opts for the uninstallation.
    I think if the system is sending a kill the destructor will not run I suppose though it is possible that something needs to be cleaned up that is not. You can observe the same behavior though if you leave a simple GUI application running in the background and try to do an Uninstall so I don't think this is the case.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by cwl2000 View Post
    Thanks for your response I already have an exe I run on Uninstall using FR, RR, RW I added code to kill my background server. This did not resolve the problem it looks like the system is looking and is seeing something running and prompts the user if it is okay to shut it down. Once they select Yes the Uninstaller.exe runs and everything is fine. I just need to figure out how to get rid of that prompt.
    Hmmm, you tried with Symbian OS 9.1 device. If I remember correctly, I tried with the same set of devices on last year's first month and I faced the same problem as of you. But before a month ago I tried with Symbian OS 9.2 device and it worked without any problem. However I have to check it again without taking it for granted.

Anyways I proposed to create such an exe and use it as Embedded Sis file. It will work then but you have to get that Sis file signed as well.

Check this thread again: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...00&postcount=4
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

That works...Thanks!