Discussion Board

How to avoid "Unable to retrieve" when changing browser's URL

Hi all,

in my application I need a possibility to spawn a web browser with a given URL (experimenting with S60 3rd). I followed the sample available at
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._specified_URL
    It works more or less OK (given the SwEvent capability).

The single problem I've encountered was actually described on the page linked above:
    "Note: If the browser is currently in the process of loading an URL and an external application tries to open another one, the error "Unable to retrieve" is shown and the new URL is not loaded."

This "feature" is basically unacceptable for my application - the message itself is confusing enough for the end-user. And I can't expect the browser to be idle when I want to open the HTTP URL.

Q: Is there any way to avoid/workaround this problem? I've tried using
    TApaTask::SwitchOpenFile(...); instead of
    TApaTask::SendMessage( TUid::Uid( 0 ), *urlPrependedWith4);
    but it doesn't seem to work at all (no effect, no error, why?).

Any help/hint/pointer highly appreciated. At this point I'm not sure if I will be able to use embedded browser with Browser Control API - perhaps I'll need to support S60 2nd, it's not yet decided.

Przemek

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to avoid "Unable to retrieve" when changing browser's URL

you could always try closing the browser prior to starting your download. For example by using the tasklist and asking it to close. anyway, as the closing is handled by the browser itself, it could take unspecified amount of time..

Re: How to avoid "Unable to retrieve" when changing browser's URL

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    you could always try closing the browser prior to starting your download. For example by using the tasklist and asking it to close. anyway, as the closing is handled by the browser itself, it could take unspecified amount of time..
    SwEvent capability is enough to close the browser? I'd need to experiment with that. I could e.g. ask it to close and implement some kind of polling to wait for it to close, but I consider it a bad, ugly hack (not to mention the time needed to close the browser and re-open it).
    I still hope to find a cleaner solution.

Anybody knows if TApaTask::SwitchOpenFile(...) would work with a web browser?