Discussion Board

Symbian Signed not required?

According from http://developer.symbian.com/main/su...ymbian_signed/ and many other sources I believe:

When is signing an application not required?
    If the application uses no capabilities
    If the application uses “User Grantable” capabilities allowing the user to grant permission for these capabilities during installation or run time
    If the application is targeted for Symbian OS versions earlier than v9.x

Does this mean even a commercial app can be distributed without signing, as long as it uses nothing or only user grantable capabilities?

The more I read documents the more I get confused.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian Signed not required?

Quote Originally Posted by espressobuff View Post
    Does this mean even a commercial app can be distributed without signing, as long as it uses nothing or only user grantable capabilities?
    Yes, you can distribute a self-signed application, the only drawback is that it is going to warn about untrusted supplier, and ask for permission for capabilities (that is when the "user grant"-s the capabilities) on installation time. These two glitches are eliminated in case of Symbian Signed applications.

I quickly tried this: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...gn_Certificate

..in my application which uses only basic caps: NetworkServices ReadUserData UserEnvironment, but it returned something "untrusted supplier" error when i try to install it.

If that was an error (and not just a question), you probably have an E-series device. These devices do not accept self-signed code by default, you have to modify Application Manager's settings to accept 'All' installations.
    An other bonus for 'real' signing.

Quote Originally Posted by espressobuff View Post
    .. but it returned something "untrusted supplier" error when i try to install it.
    If you want concrete help then you need to do better than the above. The installer returns a small list of error messages, all well discussed here and in the wiki. However, you need to read the whole exact message (in English, not a aproximate tranlation from whatever localisation you use) to be able to get proper help.

Now, to throw my guess in, next to wizard_hu_'s one: you are using protectded UIDs in your application's modules and those cannot be used for self-signed apps.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite